INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    This is saved as my desktop on my PC! Saw it on FB last year [​IMG]
    my guineas play tug when they find the little grass snakes.
    You are doing all you can.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    When I first started feeding ff, they doubled their intake for the first several weeks. [​IMG] After that, they decreased to less than half the original amount.

Theory: I think they may have been making up for nutrients that they weren't getting from the dry feed.

In the winter when they can't get anything from free ranging, I am probably feeding about 1 lb. per bird per week...maybe a little bit less. (The weight is of the dry feed, not the fermented feed as it gains weight since it's wet. Easier to state that in lbs. dry.)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    O, wow. I'm sure it will be worth it when i get to the point of them eating half. Thanks for the info. That sounds about right for the meausrments, because right now I have 54 chickens and am going through a bag in about 9 days, well right now. They arent all full grown though

4. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    So I will make this quick...

I have a newish job topped with my other job so I have not had time for anything lately... Waahh...

Just candled my eggs... I saw movement in both of them. Yay. Little concerned by the location of one air sac slightly higher on the wall of the egg than the other.. We shall see.

Do not remember my date that I put them in with the girls, but I am guessing by the candling pictures online, we are at least 15+days, seeing the movement and feather outlines, maybe closer to being done. Air sacs look pretty big.

Fingers crossed this works. Miss seeing my girls outside. The other three have gone on egg strike for now and have been loitering inside the coop where apparently all the cool kids hang :D

Hope to catch up soon

5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Truthfully, the quickest & most humane way is a sharp axe on a wood block and remove the head, or euthanasia.
    They don't even know what happened. All nerves are severed so its just "lights out".
    The few I have faced the reality of it (non-food situations), I have a bag ready and immediately put the bird in it.
    Euthanasia is a bad taste in the mouth and then sleep but you need someone DEA licensed & regulated to do it, like a vet.

[​IMG] Whew! Long day!!!! Would love to go, DH is working a lot of weekends so I won't know til day-of. I know I plan to make the Connersville show.
    [​IMG] precious

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Thanks [​IMG]
    so sorry to hear your birds are missing [​IMG]

7. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] I am so pleased with them. Hope I can someone to take pics, the tom is just stunning!
    Be patient, they are going to eat like pigs the first week or 2. It will drop a lot after that.
    They are all very striking, is that a Narragansett tom? He looks huge!
    Crafty I am so sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by