INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    thy are canibals lol. I dont know if that is chicken liver, but i was going to a show and has sime chickens in a crate with me. I ate at mcdonalds and had a left over chick nughest i ripped it half and sure ensough they ate it. And wanted more.

2. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Quote:Yes it is

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

4. gunchief25

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Quote:Do you give it to them raw or cooked?

5. Novafrk

Novafrk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the information. I was planning on getting my chicks from one of the breeders here in Indiana and not one of the big commercial hatcheries. So mid March is a good starting time for chicks in central Indiana?

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Raw.

I will cook for chickens when I see a hen cooking food for her chicks [​IMG]

Seriously, though, all the meat they find in a natural setting is raw and that's they way they're designed to eat it.

2 people like this.
  7. gunchief25

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Quote:Ok I will have to try that. I figure the extra protien has to be good for them.

8. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Well, my BO is sitting. Yesterday I gave her two EE mix eggs (I believe the roo is my silkie but could be my frizzle as he has started, um, mingling with the ladies recently) and one I THINK pure silkie egg. I don't know how many of her own eggs she has. Can't be more than one or two as I had been collecting them until she refused to get up. Her chicks will be BO and Buff Brahma cross. Quite possibly the most laid back cross known to man. lol

1 person likes this.
  9. barb s

barb s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    They are absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait till spring.

10. HappyHappyHappy

HappyHappyHappy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    hour North of Indy
    I am no expert since this has been my first year, But something I ran into when i got my chicks this past april is the outside temp.. I am not sure what your set up is, but I kept mine in a 4'x4' box in the house until it was warm outside for them. The longer they are in the house the more of a pain they are to clean up after. 6 week old peeps make more of a mess then 6 day old peeps and smell worse also... 32 peeps in the house at 6-7 weeks old is not so great. At that point my wifey says cold or not your all going outside now......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by