INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Man sounds like you did have a long day before I saw you. It was nice to meet you too! I hope you get to go I think you would enjoy it.

2. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    Jchny~ Happy Birthday!
    Sally~ my meat birds are about 4 weeks :)
    Danand~ I've missed you too!
    has anyone heard from animallover? i remember she had to give away all her animals. just wondering how she has been doing.
    so i worked all day, and the DH took care of the animals since i left so early... i got a call from the neighbor at about noon saying that our rooster was over at her house. so, i called my husband and he went over and walked him back. well, when i got home i noticed 2 of my BO hens missing. i figured they were hanging out somewhere or got lost in the cornfield and would follow the clucks back home. i just went out and they havent come home:(. checked the garage, barn, and around the bushes and pine tree. they were good girls that came when called and always were friendly.

3. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

The poly-vi-sol has these vitamins Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin C,Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12. The little guy doesn't eat yet. So maybe I'll have to show him. He is super small. I just went out and checked on him and he is still butt sitting and flaps his wings and feet hard when I pick him up. I carefully placed him back under momma. None of the other chicks had this problem. I will read your links. Thanks for the info. I feel like I should put him in a cup to make him try to stand up as I was advised, but I don't want to remove him from his brood and momma. Edit... I have read the poultry podiatry page, but I didn't see a condition like what he has. The vitamins are a good start though.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Man I wish I would of known about the liver thing, before my orloff "passe away". I mean this is not what happened to her and while I am almost 110% sure her leg and foot was unfixable anything would of been worth a shot. I will store this in the back of my brain so that they nezt time I have a chicken with a leg problem I can try it. I hope your chick get better! BTW your chicks are adorable.

5. kabhyper1

Thank you. I wonder if a day old silkie can eat liver? I didn't think about that.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont know. Maybe if you cut it into tiny tiny pieces or blended it up.

7. kabhyper1

Does anyone know of foods besides liver that are high in b vitamins and riboflavin? I don't have any sort of liver here. LOL It' not usually at the top of my grocery list.

8. kabhyper1

I didn't realize riboflavin and thiamine were b vitamins, man I'm dense. So the poly vi sol has all of those, wouldn't that be enough for such a small chick?

9. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Kab - polyvisol in the water is a good thing and a lot of people use it. The liver is a more "natural" route, but if it's not readily available just keep using the poly.

If you do end up w/liver, you have to chop it very tiny for the little ones. It helps if you run it under some cold water before trying to chop it. If partially frozen it's easier to chop too.

It's hard to keep it from sticking together, but the pieces have to be tiny for them to get it down as it tends to want to stick to everything, including little beaks!

This photo shows one of my winter babies w/ some liver...but several pieces stuck together and try as she might, she couldn't get it down! I had to grab it from her and get the pieces separated! But she was hanging onto it for dear life (I had a heck of a time getting it away from her!)...they LOVE liver and any other meat for that matter!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. kabhyper1

How cute is she!! I just talked to the breeder. The original silkies for my lie come from Harvest Breeze in crawfordsville. She said she has seen it before and it will correct itself. I feel a bit better. It is such a cute little one. I hate losing them! Is that chicken liver?? Little cannibal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by