INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

My Friend loving this!
Tammie Hershey.jpg
Tammie and the new calf Hershey!

Thank you to everyone who played "Pullet or Cockerel!" I sure hope it's a pullet. Although her legs seemed big, I hadn't noticed any spurs forming. Her tail feathers sticking out reminded me of cockerels we've had. Compared to the EE pullet that I bought at the same time, the Cochin has looked more masculine. I realize they are two different breeds. My bantam Cochins, The Frizzles, don't resemble the LF Cochin's general shape.

Still definitely a girl, @Mother2Hens ! Stance and feathering looks to me like she's just poor quality (no offense meant, of course!). Partridge (both laced and wildtype) are some of the easiest birds to sex at this age because of the vastly different male and female appearances. Here's a male, a little bit older, but as close as I could find--notice that he has black and red patches instead of even lacing?

_MG_7104.jpg

:love :love :love This is too cute! Congrats! How far past their due dates did they end up going?
Thanks! I think they were bred in Nov. We witnessed Oct breeding but obviously that's way too far out. Cows can go 9.5 months or 8.5 to calve, its a big window. 1st time heifers usually go longer too. So Pixie would have been more on time, Dixie 2 weeks late.

Sorry! :oops: That wasn't to say she's not a gorgeous little lady, just to explain the stance and tail feathers. I've personally found that my large Cochins are just a bit more aloof than bantams. Not really unfriendly (Cazzie runs to me for hugs and everything), but not as in-your-face. They're also more calm and laid back, versus my super sassy little bantams. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom