INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hello I have a hen that has swollen feet, ankle and knees. She does not limp and she eats and drink fine . I can tell she is uncomfortable because she likes to perch a lot ( maybe because feet hurt ). I have been soaking her legs in warm water with epsom salt . I don’t think is bumble foot because the swollen is in both feet . I think if could be gout? I could be wrong. She had this for a few weeks . Any idea what it could be and how to help this poor girl ? Pictures not too good but hopefully you can see it .
Thanks
Update :

In case this information helps someone who has a bird with same symptoms as mine. She has gout. Basically eating too much treats. She needs to only eat her layer food and keep soaking her feet in Epson salt. There is a medication called Allopurinol that helps with gout in chickens but I am reading more about it.

Hope this help someone in case you need it.

Hi all. :frow I don't post a lot, but read a ton. I have 2 muscovy juvenile males to rehome (they will be a year in August). We recently had a fox attack (I posted about it in the predators & pests forum) and my numbers are really out of ratio. It wasn't super before, but it was manageable while they were able to free range, but the young males are always pestering their dad and his free space is now limited. We can't get more females due to not being able to eat eggs.
So, rehoming is the only option.
They look a little ragged (the 2 on the right) but they have no pests. They wrestle all the time and never take a bath even though they have multiple options to do so. :rolleyes:
They are located in Northeast Indiana.
20210502_142607~2.jpg

Hello
Does anyone know where to get ahold of some comfrey plants?? Read it's a good addition to the garden for chickens. If this wintry weather wouldn't mind going away 🥶 haha
I have lots to do outside!
Seeing a mixed bag of info on this as to whether it's safe to eat or not. In general, poultry will eat it, but it can cause hepatotoxicity.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5894094/
I have guineas, they munch on the mint but not the comfrey.
As to where to get it, I got mine from
thegrowers-exchange.com
BUT - I needed for an herbal course, so only bought a few. It self seeds easily if allowed to, so it may be preferable for you to order seeds from someone. It grows to be 3-4' tall.

This place sells the blocked kind of comfrey that doesn't set seeds. http://www.nantahala-farm.com/comfrey-fodder-livestock-poultry-s.shtml

My turkeys like it but the chickens like it after it's picked and wilted. I usually cut the last before the first fall freeze for use in the winter. The deer came and ate it all the night before I was going to harvest.

Near terre haute!
Hey guys
I have a black copper maran pullet who is about 4 months who recently became mostly blind. I have a thread on her in the emergency section and it appears she has developed cataracts. 😞
We have no place for a blind chicken on our farm (we keep chickens for pest control) and my husband said I can try to re-home her, otherwise we'll butcher her next month when our meat birds are ready.
She's always been very calm, sweet, and docile. Doesn't mind being picked up and will cluck softly to you. She would be a great pet for a child. I have some photos of her below as well as how her eyes look.
Up until last week, she would free range outside and return to the coop at night. Since becoming blind, she doesn't leave the coop anymore, understandably.
20210507_115537.jpg
20210517_064055.jpg

Illinoisan here crossing state lines...

I thought I had a butcher date scheduled for my batch of meat birds I’m currently growing. I scheduled it 4 weeks ago. Apparently, the gentleman I spoke with that day did not get it recorded and now the locker cannot get my birds in until 2 weeks after my original date. I just found this out today. I would like to harvest this batch around the first of July. I have called Central Illinois Poultry Processing, Petersburg Poultry Processing, and Brummell poultry processing. CIPP is booked. Petersburg is currently closed. Brummell has availability then, but unfortunately it’s 3 hours away from home. Who in east central Illinois or western Indiana (Must be USDA inspected if in Indiana) processes poultry that may have availability then? Thanks. I’d process myself as I know how, but then I can’t sell these birds legally.

Chicken therapy
IMG_7246 (2).jpg

IMG_7245 (2).jpg

IMG_7249 (2).jpg

DS likes to recline in the chair with some scratch grains and and get covered in chickens. Often when the chickens see a person walking toward the chairs , they will run to and stand there waiting. It's great if you like chickens in your lap. He trained them well.

So today my husband decides to sit down for a break while mowing the lawn. Within seconds he was surrounded. He said he thought he was in Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

Near terre haute!
Hey guys
I have a black copper maran pullet who is about 4 months who recently became mostly blind. I have a thread on her in the emergency section and it appears she has developed cataracts. 😞
We have no place for a blind chicken on our farm (we keep chickens for pest control) and my husband said I can try to re-home her, otherwise we'll butcher her next month when our meat birds are ready.
She's always been very calm, sweet, and docile. Doesn't mind being picked up and will cluck softly to you. She would be a great pet for a child. I have some photos of her below as well as how her eyes look.
Up until last week, she would free range outside and return to the coop at night. Since becoming blind, she doesn't leave the coop anymore, understandably.View attachment 2675037View attachment 2675039
How did she become blind?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom