INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Anyone have turkeys? I am just researching right now. See if they would fit in with my current set up and if I can free range them. My ducks and chickens could literally leave and never come back if they wanted. When they are out in the yard they have no true fence, but they stay in the yard and venture just a little into the surrounding fields.

Anyone have turkeys? I am just researching right now. See if they would fit in with my current set up and if I can free range them. My ducks and chickens could literally leave and never come back if they wanted. When they are out in the yard they have no true fence, but they stay in the yard and venture just a little into the surrounding fields.
You mean have them in general or have them to sell? 🙂
I have 5 poults right now. 2 are older and I have them in a tractor that we move daily. Other three are still in the brooder but they will go outside pretty soon.

You mean have them in general or have them to sell? 🙂
I have 5 poults right now. 2 are older and I have them in a tractor that we move daily. Other three are still in the brooder but they will go outside pretty soon.
Just in general. Do you keep turkeys with chickens once they get older? I've read conflicting info.

Just in general. Do you keep turkeys with chickens once they get older? I've read conflicting info.
while they can be free ranged together, it’s not a good idea to keep them together or to keep turkeys in an area that previously housed chickens due to risk of blackhead. I only raise a few BB turkeys for meat each year. if meat is not your main objective, you will want to find heritage breeds.
the thread “A century of turkey talk” on here is a very good option to learn more about turkeys from some very experienced members.

If blackhead is in your area, keep turkeys off ground chickens have been on in previous years.
Otherwise it depends on your turkeys. I have had a cockerels back broken by his best friend jake. I found a chicken hen that a tom was trying to breed, I got to her in time to save her.
A roo and a jake hated each other and the roo got out and ran right over to the jake faster than I could get there to save him.
I found a chicken hen with her brain exposed and a jake with blood and feathers on him.
I found another chicken hen being beat up by turkey hens. She survived but still has a bad leg.
I invited all the trouble makers to dinner and haven't had any troubles in a couple years.

If blackhead is in your area, keep turkeys off ground chickens have been on in previous years.
Otherwise it depends on your turkeys. I have had a cockerels back broken by his best friend jake. I found a chicken hen that a tom was trying to breed, I got to her in time to save her.
A roo and a jake hated each other and the roo got out and ran right over to the jake faster than I could get there to save him.
I found a chicken hen with her brain exposed and a jake with blood and feathers on him.
I found another chicken hen being beat up by turkey hens. She survived but still has a bad leg.
I invited all the trouble makers to dinner and haven't had any troubles in a couple years.
I've been reading in the turkey forum and have found some of your posts. I'm definitely going to do some research first. It sounds like I would need another set up specifically for them. So, this will require lots of time for me to research. Thanks for the input!

I have a "love-hate" relationship with turkeys. I love hatching them in spring. Those awkward looking poults are cute and so needy. I like to keep 3 (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Giblets - as a back up) They have an odd desire to accidently kill themselves in strange ways (get body stuck in a feeder, fall into the compost bin, get trapped in a box, end up on wrong side of fence & can't find way back. They're not very bright, need to be regularly monitored, and they eat every bit of food you put out. I can't use my auto feeders in the summer because the turkeys empty them. Instead, I put out the daily amount of feed in a dish and make them forage in the afternoon.

Unlike most people, I raise my poults with chicks and a broody bantam hen. I find they do well following an intelligent, attentive mama. Because they were hatched and raised with chickens, mine seem to tolerate chickens OK. Yes, they are bullies, clumsy, will eat up all the chickens' feed, peck the heads of chickens so they can eat all the food, and I fear they were the cause of a few missing chicks last summer. Most of the time they put themselves to bed in the coop. Once in a while they will sit ON TOP of the coop. I poke them down with a stick & then they go inside. I clip wings but they pretty much stay in the yard. (A few times they fly down onto wrong side of fence and panic when they can't return to the flock.) So why do I put up with this?........ The male turkey is stunning. They taste delicious (my orig reason for keeping them). They are curious and follow me around the yard - hoping for a bit of treat. They are entertaining to watch because they make up some hilarious games - like running in circles around a pole for 10 min. I never knew who was chasing whom. I admit by the end of summer, I start counting the days until I can be rid of those annoying, eating machines.

But then last year, we had a hawk attack. I heard loud squawking and looked out the window to see a fierce scuffle feathers on the ground. By the time I got outside, the Cooper's hawk escaped and flew up into the pine tree. The turkey stood his ground and puffed out. I ran outside and threw some rocks to scare off the hawk. Hawk continued to return but the 3 turkeys would call the alarm and stand out in the open to challenge that hawk. Normally I stop free ranging the flock in early October when the hawks get desperate and the trees lose their cover. With those turkeys on guard, I was able to allow free ranging until mid-late November, when we processed them.

Once again I was thrilled to longer have to deal with turkey drama. My chickens could have some peace and my feed bill went down. As spring approaches, I get an urge to hatch. I start to remember some of the good times. Then some enabler offers me some extra turkey eggs, and the process starts all over.

I do not want to breed turkeys, so my goal is different. If I wanted to keep them permanently, I'd probably have a separate place for them. They can be rough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom