INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I am 'over my limit for rating content'....what does that mean? Guess I kind of have the FB mindset here.....if I like what you say or it makes me laugh, I am going to give you a thumbs up. But guess BYC only allows so many. Ha that is funny.
Haha-- They're referring to "Ovations." I found a link that explains all the "rules," but doesn't explain what the points are for. I appreciate receiving ovations and enjoy giving them although sometimes I go through phases of forgetting about them. I haven't figured out what they are "worth" as far as points. They must be monetarily valuable since there are so many rules. haha
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/699980/announcing-the-new-byc-reputation-system-ovations

I have two eggs due to hatch in a week I'm so excited! They are from a golden comet mommy and a buff brahma roo. Anyone know if these will be sex link chicks? Will I be able to tell their gender fairly early? Up to this point I've only purchased chicks. I know nothing of genetics and mixing breeds other than the few things I've read on google. :)

I am pretty sure that you can't make a sexlink with a sexlink, so no, you won't have sexlinked chicks. Do you know if your roo was slow feathering and if the hen was fast feathering? You should be able to sex by feather growth if the parents carry the genetics for it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

As stated in the above thread, your chicks will not be sexlinked because you can't produce a sexlink of any kind with any sexlink female. (Golden comets are a common name for red sexlinks, if you wondered.) I must withdraw my statement on feather growth, as apparently a fast feathering male over a slow feathering female produces chicks that can be sexed by feather growth, not the other way around. My guess is you'll be waiting for comb and wattle growth (or lack thereof) to determine the sex of your chicks. :) Hope the hatch goes well!

Double post, so enjoy this picture of Po sunbathing...

...and then being plopped on by Whiri. :lol:

Last edited:
We got Ironman home at 12:09 am this morning! James was worn out but glad to have his buddy back! We also talked to some people about showing his bantams next year...from the excitement in his voice, I'd say 4-H is his thing!
In ab unrelated not, kind of..we are also discussing homeschooling very seriously. Our school system is a medicate or get out type of place (James has ADHD that is treated naturally) Does anyone have any experience with a good Christian based homeschool?
I attended all three systems, private schools, public school, and home school. For me home school worked best. We are now starting the process with our children. There are lots of different types of Christian homeschooling. Check out christianbook.com for all kinds of books. Since you are newer to the process, you may want to look into video school. Bob Jones has great elementary videos that are not a filmed classroom. Abeka is a big name publisher. Saxon is great for math. Then there is Christian Liberty Press who will mix and match publishers based on the child's test scores and parent's preferences. For High School Christian Liberty is nice as they work more like a long distance learning program with the parent as the teacher. The student can graduate from Christian Liberty and attend the ceremony in IL if they want and you want to pay for the trip. Way back when IN had a state wide graduation for homeschool students too. There are many great positives about homeschooling still it takes time on the parent's part.
Quote: I would love a kitten if we find someone. But I don't think i want to drive that far for one. I would even take two if some one brought them to the party. I would also offer them a free rooster for their trouble.

No real update on my injured hen. I have to say if this kind of thing happens again once I know how to process a chicken, the injured chicken will be put out of its misery. Right now she is skin and bones but eating better. Her comb has shrunk drastically and waded as well. She can move around but not easily and has started using her wings for support. I give her until the end of August then its a small cut to end her pain. Unless anyone here wants to adopt her. Then they can have her now for free of course.

Thank you for kind words of encouragement about my invalid pullet Violet. I think she’s doing as well as possible; it’s just going to take time.

I re-read recent posts since I’ve been preoccupied with chicken health issues. I knew my luck would run out at some point! We’re still doing spa pedicure treatments on my BR hen’s scaly leg mites and are also going through the lengthy procedures to eradicate the mites. It’s not nearly as bad as having an invalid chicken, though.
vickichicki~ I’m going to be in Indy on Wednesday and hoped to stop by your produce stand, but it looks like it’s going to be a quick trip up and back-- taking care of my Lavender’s leg is a lot of work with frequent bedding changes, laundry, cleaning, feeding, meds, giving her some outdoor time-- generally monitoring her to make sure she is not in an awkward position or laying in poop. It’s like working in a nursing home. DH and my kids will be at work, so I hate to be gone too long. Anyway, hope you’ll be at
racinchickins’s Chicken Event of the Year.

Well I am glad you let me know, we are not open on Wednesdays :D That is our day for picking the produce up. However should you have spare time on the trip let me know and I will pop the kettle on!

I will be attending The Famous Chicken Event (CEA Chicken enablers anonymous) If I don't get to see you Wednesday I am very excited to be meeting everyone there.

Think you are doing a fabulous job looking after Violet and I am sure she will be up and running around in no time.

Quote:
Welcome to the thread!

If you have any questions or need help with anything just post away and one of us will get to it.

Do you have chickens already? If so what kind?
Yeah I have quite a flock. They are silver laced wyandottes, leghorn, EEs, cuckoo Marans, RiRs, and a few other assorted breeds.

[COLOR=800000]Haha-- They're referring to "Ovations." I found a link that explains all the "rules," but doesn't explain what the points are for. I appreciate receiving ovations and enjoy giving them although sometimes I go through phases of forgetting about them. I haven't figured out what they are "worth" as far as points. They must be monetarily valuable since there are so many rules. haha[/COLOR]
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/699980/announcing-the-new-byc-reputation-system-ovations

LOL!! I knew what it meant. I just thought it was humorous that at that time I could no longer give someone a thumb's up.
As I mentioned, I will give the Ovations if I like what you say or you make me laugh. Both are very easy to do. :)

Back
Top Bottom