INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Thunder Chicken,
There is a feed store on Pendleton Pike in Lawrence. I forget the name of it. It is just east of Post Road on the south side of PP. It is just a little south of Post Road Vets. I buy most of my food at TSC, and Rural King in Martinsville. I like the scratch from TSC better than Rural King, it smells better and has different seeds in it, not mainly corn. Good luck!
Goobhen

Last edited:
It looks like the cats took over this thread, lol. We have a cat like yours. It was a stray that my son managed to talk us into taking in a few years ago. He only looks for us if his bowl is empty.

Speaking of empty, I need to get some more feed soon. I have been buying it at TSC because I don't know where else to look. Where have those of you in the Indianapolis area been buying yours? What do you recommend for laying chickens? It looks like two are laying now.
We buy out west of Indy, at TSC in Plainfield. There must be other places, but that's where we go. For laying chickens, look for the stuff that says for laying chickens. Sorry, not being a smart-alec, just too lazy to go in the back to find out. We first had the grower feed, then transitioned to layer feed, at the appropriate time on the back of our food bag. It has the schedule on it.

I wonder if they have sheduled food for our significant others. John may know?

Last edited:
Catching up on posts after getting my Ivy Tech summer grades finished; got them in at 3:30 this morning. I try to be sure that they're there before the nasty little email goes out to everyone listing who doesn't have grades in. Okay, 'nuff of that--on to the mites.

This summer I've had more problems with mites than ever before. I would have thought that the heat the last 2 years would have made it more an issue. Whenever I bathe a chicken (and they are certainly bathed if there are mites--maybe not just that minute!) I add a capful of Adams flea shampoo to the water--the one that says that it kills lice. That takes care of any live ones; then I use Frontline spray (either wait a day or two after the bath or long enough before the bath to be completely dry--it's waterproof then). Some folks spray it on, but it has to make contact with the skin, and a lot of it ends up on the feathers. I use a syringe and apply 1/2 - 1 ml total to the base of the skull, near the vent, and under the wings. Non-crested breeds may not need it at the base of the skull, but crested breeds (Polish, silkies, etc.) will get crest mites. The Frontline takes care of any escaped the Adams or hatch afterward. I also use Sevin in the bedding, and on the others that will be my first line of attack if I find mites and don't have time for baths until later. If all else fails, maybe John really will furnish that crop duster that M2H suggested.

Ivermectin pour-on was suggested, and that is good, too. It can also be added to drinking water for internal parasites; not sure about the dosage for chickens, but I have info for peafowl.

For dosages for any medications, Victor Hakes at Twin City Supply is a wealth of knowledge. He has handouts of products and their uses and dosages. I've told him he needs to post them on the website, but I think that he wants to be sure that people buy from him so only includes them with orders. If I don't see what info I need on the handouts, I can always call or see him at shows.

Sounds like I will stick with TSC in Greenwood. They have Dumor Layer and Purina Layena. I got the Purina Grower last time and have been adding oyster shell to it the last couple of weeks. With eight birds now, and almost full grown, I am going through it a lot faster now. Does anyone else feed the scratch? I never have but I might pick up a 10 lb, bag this time to see if they like it.

CRSelvey, I'm so glad that the chicks are doing better! It's always nerve wracking to sell birds because I worry about whether anything goes wrong, and if it does, I get a real guilt trip.
hide.gif

Sounds like I will stick with TSC in Greenwood. They have Dumor Layer and Purina Layena. I got the Purina Grower last time and have been adding oyster shell to it the last couple of weeks. With eight birds now, and almost full grown, I am going through it a lot faster now. Does anyone else feed the scratch? I never have but I might pick up a 10 lb, bag this time to see if they like it.
I dont feed my chickens anything special. I go to a feed mill to get my food. I get a cracked corn, a layer mix they have, and molasses. I mix it up and that what they eat. I dont put a lot of molasses in it though, just a little, it kind of like a bonus to them lol. It is cheap and they are happy with it! While they dont get top notch feed, they get quite a bit of treats, so it makes up for it!

Not more than a couple dozen or so! Did you notice how HUGE that horse barn is? There is an exercise yard in there!

If they decided to start a commercial poultry farm, they could put thousands of birds in there, in cages of course.

PATRICK - What are the dimensions of that barn? Nosey.

John
It's 101 x 70. It's actually bigger than the property we owned in Indianapolis. I had thought about the stalls. But then I think about the mountains of stuff we have stored in them and am not sure I want to deal with that. I think half the stuff from our old house is stored in them. The thought of sorting thought that stuff makes me ill. But it is definitely a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom