INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I figured I would consult a vet before doing something drastic. Since they are my pets, and I only have 17 of them, all of which my neice and nephews have named, I kinda have to try anything I can to keep them healthy. I appreciate all of the advice. I just don't have chickens that are meant for meat at all nor will they ever be a meal. If they stop laying, they will still be family pets and bug control. :) Even Gus, who likes to grind on my last nerve, will stay here and live a long life.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. All 22 of my birds have names.my oldest daughter wouldn't even eat chicken period for two years. She will be nine next month and she just let that go this summer. Lol There will be no processing here either. Just lots and lots of bug control and fertilizer ;)

Yeah I'm in the same boat. All 22 of my birds have names.my oldest daughter wouldn't even eat chicken period for two years. She will be nine next month and she just let that go this summer. Lol There will be no processing here either. Just lots and lots of bug control and fertilizer
wink.png
I haven't eaten chicken in 6 months. Probably won't start again anytime soon. :)

Yeah I'm in the same boat. All 22 of my birds have names.my oldest daughter wouldn't even eat chicken period for two years. She will be nine next month and she just let that go this summer. Lol There will be no processing here either. Just lots and lots of bug control and fertilizer
wink.png
Nice to know that there are like-minded people on this list! We used to work with cat rescue and have a clowder of kitties, most of whom are old, HIV+, and/or neurotic - in other words, unadoptable. We love every one of them, even whoever peed in my slippers! Our chickens will be pets, too. Pets that make breakfast!

Lavender, Jubilee, and Chocolate Orps
I drove through blinding rainstorms to pick up my Chocolate Bantam Orp. She is the same age as my other two orps-- 16 weeks old, but she's smaller of course. She is really sweet -- the first chicken I've had that hasn't run from me! I have her in the cat carrier next to Violet and Adeline who are in the dog kennel tonight-- all in my living room. haha They all have been conversing. I'll take photos tomorrow.

I decided today that I was going to have Violet put to sleep tomorrow because she had been panting more and her stiff leg seemed hopeless. She was doing better for a while, and then it seemed like it wasn't going well. Then tonight, she kept trying to stand up. I put my hand under her to hold her up to standing position and she looked thrilled. I would lower her down, but she wanted to stand (even though she can't on her own). So now I'm thinking of making a sling kind of thing to hold her up in standing position for periods of time. I don't know what to think or do. I also have the situation of feeling like I can't be gone for more than a day while a family member cares for her. I need to be in Bloomington for a couple of days at the end of the week, so I guess I'll see how tomorrow goes.
Okay guys, Godiva the Australorp layed her 3rd soft egg this week. Again she has yolk all over her bottom so I have to bathe her again.
sad.png
. She is a year and a half old and from what I understand has always layed nice big eggs. She acts normal and is eating fine and has free choice oyster shell. She eats layena too. Anyone has an idea I greatly appreciate it.
When I picked up my Chocolate Orp today at Chicken Scratch Poultry, I mentioned to the owner Angie that my EE hasn't laid in a week or so. She asked if she was around 18 months old and I replied yes. She said that my EE is probably getting ready for her first molt. Sounds like yours is around that age, too.

Update~ I just read your next post and your story also reminds me of when I traded a cockerel a year ago and got our Jersey Giant. The guy said she was a year old and she laid eggs. She laid a "lash" egg, which is supposed to be part of her reproductive organs. (see my profile page-- "Jersey laid something weird"-- one of my first BYC posts) It looked like a shrimp. After that, she laid some eggs with no shells and some that looked like scrambled eggs. All this time, which was a few months she acted fine. Since then, she still sits on the nest and sings the egg song, but doesn't lay. She was lucky because sometimes the reproductive organs or the messed up eggs don't pass and become stuck. I'd keep my eye on her and maybe soak her bottom half in warm water and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to make sure she's clean. Since Godiva acts fine, it sounds like she went through a similar experience as Jersey. And I don't care if Jersey doesn't lay; she's my dear pet. I'm glad you consulted veterinarians, which helped you and provided resources for our members.
hugs.gif

I'll never forget my awesome BYC friends(everyone here) I'll be on just not that much and I'll share what knowledge I have with chickens with everyone:)
Missie~ We still want to hear from you! You've learned and accomplished so much-- you should be very proud of yourself. Even if you don't have chickens right now, you will sooner or later, so you might as well keep learning-- plus we don't always stick to talking about chickens-- you can discuss school or animals or your future plans. Hang in there! Your Indiana BYCers really do care about you.
hugs.gif

My poor chick that has scissor beak now has an injured foot. I have an idea what caused it and it can barely walk on the injured foot. My sister had a going away party for college and I think one of her friends pick it up and dropped it. Is there anything i can do to help it?
Sorry to hear that! Here's the link to the poultry podiatry page: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
Idymelissande~ He's very cute! Why do all the cute guys have bad personalities? haha just kidding

CraftyChick~That's twice as hard when your pet kills another one. My condolences. It's good that you want to take action to resolve the problem. : - )

Here are some of the pics from my son's Ancona ducks' bathing/preening time this past Saturday. They are now 9 weeks old. Depending how the sun catches some of their their black feathers the sheen can look emerald, royal blue or purple -- so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom