INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Awesome, I am hoping next year. I will be using the old hog pasture area for the garden. Plan to turn it before winter again in the spring.
Any suggestions to prepare the soil otherwise?
LOL! I was dancing too!!! We had got a few good drenchings but is weeks apart. All the corn is dry here, most of the soybean too. Nice not having to mow tho!

We got another inch of rain this morning. I have this HUGE raingauge, easy to read from 50 feet away. Has a red float that rises with the rain. Pretty cool!

Speaking of freezing water, does anyone know how the experiment went about the hot water freezing faster then cold water? I know someone put hot, warm and cold water in the freezer to test it, and there was a lot of debate about mineral content of hot vs. cold water, if the container is sealed or not, how much water is left in the frozen container after melt down to see if the hot water just evaporated and had less to freeze, etc.

hi everyone, New to BYC, and decided last week that chickens sounded like an exciting adventure, so, bought a coop this morning, and lumber etc for the run, the lady I've been trying to keep in contact with about EE's which I later found out were Ameracunas, has slowly started not replying me, and any others seem to act interested then no longer reply, the stuff is on its way, the run is being built, I have no chickens! I'm wanting pullets or very young hens preferably EEs, I really want blue/ green layers, flashy chickens, that's what drew me to them, I'm not completely chicken savvy, but I can read, that's where I have my knowledge from, located in northern Indiana, any help in locating some girls for me!?

hi everyone, New to BYC, and decided last week that chickens sounded like an exciting adventure, so, bought a coop this morning, and lumber etc for the run, the lady I've been trying to keep in contact with about EE's which I later found out were Ameracunas, has slowly started not replying me, and any others seem to act interested then no longer reply, the stuff is on its way, the run is being built, I have no chickens! I'm wanting pullets or very young hens preferably EEs, I really want blue/ green layers, flashy chickens, that's what drew me to them, I'm not completely chicken savvy, but I can read, that's where I have my knowledge from, located in northern Indiana, any help in locating some girls for me!?
This is my first year at this Chicken thing, too. I just asked around about a hatchery called Murray McMurray Hatchery. I have only gotten good reviews about their service. If you can't find anyone on here, maybe give it a shot. Good luck!

Quote:
I went and bought calf manna, and chick starter. I mixed the chick starter with her layer feed in a small feeder with about a tablespoon of calf manna. She has her food and water, in the dog kennel she is using for a nesting box, with her. She is eating when I show it to her, I weighed her on our alpaca scale today and she is 3.4 lbs. So I am going to keep an eye on her weight too. I found 4 bearded silkie eggs hidden in the silkie coop and there are some in the nest box, plus lavender is sitting on 13 eggs. Oh boy. I'm not sure if I want to incubate the silkie eggs or sell them. I guess I decide when I candle Lavenders to see what I'm looking at as far as numbers go.

I was going to suggest McMurray, sometimes they have adult hens. Shipping will get you on bigger chickens though. You might want to check your local feed stores and see where the chicken swaps are. My TSC is having one next weekend through the FFA, or maybe it is 4-H, any way. Good luck!

Oh, read up on mites, lice, bumble foot,and gleet. You don't want to take home sick chickens.

Last edited:
Quote:
I went and bought calf manna, and chick starter. I mixed the chick starter with her layer feed in a small feeder with about a tablespoon of calf manna. She has her food and water, in the dog kennel she is using for a nesting box, with her. She is eating when I show it to her, I weighed her on our alpaca scale today and she is 3.4 lbs. So I am going to keep an eye on her weight too. I found 4 bearded silkie eggs hidden in the silkie coop and there are some in the nest box, plus lavender is sitting on 13 eggs. Oh boy. I'm not sure if I want to incubate the silkie eggs or sell them. I guess I decide when I candle Lavenders to see what I'm looking at as far as numbers go.
Try to avoid candling too much. Also I am fairly certain you might want to lay off adding eggs later than the first bunch set. It messes with hatch time.

We got our third egg today! Nine days between the first two. Only three days Since the last one. Maybe we will still get a daily egg before the weather changes!

Try to avoid candling too much. Also I am fairly certain you might want to lay off adding eggs later than the first bunch set. It messes with hatch time.

i agree about adding eggs. Putting eggs later than the original eggs, messes with hatch time. You some ready for lockdown and some not. It just ends up being a big mess, unless you have multiple incubators.

Back
Top Bottom