INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

:rant ARRRRRGH!! :mad: If no one takes them, I will, I can add  them to the egg flock this spring.
I want more variety of blood lines to keep the roos bigger.
The chick has slight red tint to it, but not as dark as I'd have thought for RIR (although it is still in the bator drying out). The seller said the only thing they have that hatches yellow are Wheaton ameraucana, but these were light brown eggs not blue. So I'm guessing a roo got out of some pen and it is likely a mix of who knows what. All the seller said was "that is totally puzzling!". Of course nothing to rectify the situation.

I don't know if you have any other chicks right now, but if you want it and don't, I'm sure I could include a buddy or two with it ;)

Quote:
My HRIR roosters are quite large. Friendly too. Brad's would be a nice addition to a laying flock if you decided not to make breeders of them.
Exactly my thought! I have too many linked to the oldest Roo, Red. Need to add more unrelated roos to the hens.

when do you plan to incubate next? I could loan you a Fogle RIR rooster. I have 3 but am still waiting on them to mature more. At least one is mating but the hens same age are not laying yet.
Come next fall I'll be looking for a breeding buddy. Someone that wants to have Fogle RIR birds and breed to standards best they can. Then we are backups for each other in case something happens to our breeding chickens or if one of us feels their group needs fresh blood from the same line. Just planting the idea now for you or any other chicken hatching person out there. I can't even begin to set eggs yet so it is a longs way off.

adding a picture of one of my HRIR roos.

Last edited:
Hey Brad, I'm new here, but if/when ever you do have cochin chicks, let me know! I'm looking for a couple of regular size hens.

Welcome! I only have bantam Cochins. Working towards barred lavenders, but just hatched an assortment to at least have some to go with my barred lavender until I get more eggs/chicks from the breeder. So if you want some of the little guys, keep me in mind! I'd love to have some LF Cochins, but I'm trying to not add anymore breeds/varieties to the flock.

Originally Posted by pipdzipdnreadytogo
pipd ~ I wasn't planning on purchasing one; I took a photo of an all-in-one model to post since many members have been discussing ways to keep water from freezing. I am home enough that I can keep an eye on the water bowls. I occasionally used a heated dog water bowl last year and they all survived, so I can use that again when needed.

I agree with Leahs Mom on the dismantled heated water bucket. I looked at the bottom of mine and there isn't any sealant or water stripping or anything to block water from getting in there as far as I can tell. At least the duct tape would slow the water down. I can't see how that's any more dangerous than leaving the water dish in one piece. I, of course, will look things over carefully before I do anything, though.
smile.png

Speaking of makeshift water heaters and etc, though, I wanted to post a warning to those using the kind with light bulbs. I recently read about Teflon-coated light bulbs producing a gas that will kill birds of any kind when they are lit. Sometimes they are not labelled as Teflon-coated, just as "shatter-proof". Please be careful and read closely if you're going to have light bulbs of any kind in the coop!
pipd ~ I just have a small, flat panel radiant heater. And a small flat screen TV. jk
wink.png

Electric Cords

Sally in Indiana posted: I'll chime in on the cords. The pan fry roosters I got from Meyer hatchery ate an outdoor grade extension cord about 6 inches of it. We had the cord buried about 3 inches under ground but that did not matter those roosters still found it and pecked away. Now we have the new cord running through a PVC pipe that just sits on the ground. easier than burying a new cord and hopefully chicken proof.

Sally in Indiana ~ I've read about using PVC pipe to protect electric cords. It sounds like a good idea. If your roosters chewed up your former extension cord, then some birds might chew up led rope lighting that some members have discussed using to provide light in dark coops. That's one more thing for members to "chew on."
tongue.png

Vaseline or "Pam Spray" on Combs & Waddles
The other day there was a discussion about protecting combs and waddles (and feet and legs) from winter weather. A couple of people mentioned that Pam spray oil is handy to use. Something about that concerned me because when I had bought some before for cooking, I noticed that it created a big cloud when I just sprayed a small pan. I looked up some info and found this info below. Again, I am neither trying to create a debate nor insisting that someone do things my way, I am just presenting information.
duc.gif

Cooking sprays contain additives like soy lecithin, mono and diglycerides, dimethylpolysiloxane, dimethyl silicone, or artificial flavors. The long term effects of ingesting these chemicals as well as inhaling the particles and vapors of additives and artificial ingredients are still unknown.
Cooking sprays contain unspecified propellants, usually nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide is a greenhouse gas.

Cooking sprays contain genetically modified ingredients. GMOs are derived from genetically modified seeds, which have been altered so that growers can use more pesticides (without killing the plant itself) and therefore yield more crops. GM foods contain markedly higher levels of pesticides than conventional crops, increasing the risks of these already dangerous chemicals. According the American Academy of Environmental Medicine, animal studies have repeatedly shown serious health risks including infertility, auto-immune disorders, diabetes, and changes in major organs including the gastrointestinal system.
As long as I am playing the role of Henny Penny -- "The Sky is Falling!" . . .
Here's one more thing that happened a couple of weeks ago when it was warm outside. I had not used my self-cleaning oven feature for a while and with the holidays coming up, I decided to do that since I could air out the fumes through the large screen door between the kitchen area and the outside deck. Luckily, I read the manual since it had been awhile. I was shocked to read, "Warning, fumes from self-cleaning cycle can be harmful or deadly to birds." Whaaaat? I'm sure they meant a parakeet in a cage, but considering the chickens hang out on the deck, it could have affected them. When I did some more reading, I found that birds are extremely sensitive to fumes-- another one being fumes from Teflon pans, which relates to Pipd's comment about Teflon coated bulbs.

Hey Dex!  Glad you've joined us here!  Great bunch to say the least!

I am going to say...IMO....that I would be Really leary of "used" coops.  I only say that because of all of the "things" that you could get with it; you would pay anything to be able to be rid of!  That said, things like:  bugs *mites & lice*, Resp diseases, cocci and mareks disease to name a Very few!  Again, that is my opinion and I would hate for you to start out in trouble!  These are things that a little bleach water won't take care of...that's all.

I'm sure someone else here can share what's worked for them too!
Mandy

Mandy, thanks for your long post! It was very helpful! I guess I am surprised that something would survive a bleach bath but I guess nooks and crannies would be a problem.

Others? What are your thoughts on used? The used coop is only a year old I can't remember if it was painted inside.

Back
Top Bottom