INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Didn't get to much done on the pallet coop today, but I did get my template roof rafter built! And it's perfect. A standared 4/12 pitch, I was gonna do a saltbox style roof but it didn't look right with how square the coop is.

Calling all you EE experts.... If you can make heads or tails out of these pictures, (they are wild beasts that dont hold still) can you tell if we really have all pullets at this age? They are a month old. I don't know much about EE's other than boys get red in the shoulders. I'm not seeing any of that so far.
There are 7 of them.

I sex by color and these are all pullets from what I can see in the pics (some in the ones that aren't from a side view are hard to see)
It is a very common coloring amoung female EEs. They will end up looking fairly close to this girls, plus beards

Last edited:
Hey kab sorry I took so long to reply. I'd feel really bad about taking Gus he's so gorgeous. However, what about a stud service type dealy, lol. It wouldn't be til F3 that we could get consistent results but I'd be willing to split the chicks with you or something along those lines and you could 'loan' me Gus for a month or so until I got some good fertile eggs. Then I would need to 'borrow' him again next year lol...gosh I just couldn't take him though. Too bad chickens can't be insemination like cows lol.

I'm ordering some hens from chicken hill and then I found her blue partridge brahmas and got hit with the love bug. She ships a minimum of 6 and will include 1 free of each breed I buy ...but I can't take 8 more birds. Would anyone be interested in taking some of these? Blue laced reds and blue partridge brahmas...straight run. I know I will want a blue and splash hen and maybe 2 blue partridge hens but I couldn't keep any more, so that's at least 2 of each...I'd have to grow them out to see what sex they are but they're super pretty.

Then of course part of me thinks I might be trying to do too much all at once lol. And if anyone wants to order so we can split shipping that's cool too.
big_smile.png

http://www.chickenhillpoultry.com/bluepartridge
Actually some people do AI with there chickens

Wow that is insane!!
I thought the same thing, but I could see where it could be the better option for some. Some people that have SQ chickens will do AI so that the feathers don't get messed up breeding. I would much rather condition my SQ chickens for a few months than do AI. The subject was brought up on another thread I get on and someone posted a youtube video.....the things people post on youtube lol

Hey kab sorry I took so long to reply. I'd feel really bad about taking Gus he's so gorgeous. However, what about a stud service type dealy, lol. It wouldn't be til F3 that we could get consistent results but I'd be willing to split the chicks with you or something along those lines and you could 'loan' me Gus for a month or so until I got some good fertile eggs. Then I would need to 'borrow' him again next year lol...gosh I just couldn't take him though. Too bad chickens can't be insemination like cows lol.

I'm ordering some hens from chicken hill and then I found her blue partridge brahmas and got hit with the love bug. She ships a minimum of 6 and will include 1 free of each breed I buy ...but I can't take 8 more birds. Would anyone be interested in taking some of these? Blue laced reds and blue partridge brahmas...straight run. I know I will want a blue and splash hen and maybe 2 blue partridge hens but I couldn't keep any more, so that's at least 2 of each...I'd have to grow them out to see what sex they are but they're super pretty.

Then of course part of me thinks I might be trying to do too much all at once lol. And if anyone wants to order so we can split shipping that's cool too. :D.

http://www.chickenhillpoultry.com/bluepartridge

I'd be interested in buying any extra blue partridge you end up with. I just put 7 eggs of those in the bator. Adding to whatever I end up with would be great.

Nothing like 3 days of scrapbooking to relax! I got 13 pages done (exculding a few pictures I need to print off and attach). I did do a little bit with chickens. I have started a book to keep track of success (or not so much success lol) at shows and one growing out my stock. I made sure to attach years so that I don't forget.

Well, I have to say, your husband did an awesome job on the camp store! I was really impressed when I saw it a few years ago, so creative! My kids aren't old enough to go for summer camp yet, but our family goes every year for a work weekend. We always have so much fun! I can't wait until my kids are old enough to spend a week there! Great job on the cabin rebuild too. From the pictures it looks pretty close to original, but I can't see all the scribbles, of course!
wink.png

Edited to reply to Peaceful Walls

Last edited:
I'm still impressed by how fast things are going and how the cold is not slowing you down one bit.  Our new run is 90% done but the cold is preventing DH from finishing it the rest of the way.  If hawks were nonexistent, the run would be usable.  But the government got involved.  I'm not a big fan of the government getting involved in as many things as they do. 

I have special food for the days my DH comes home hungry and cranky.  Not great food just stuff that I can give to him and say here you fix it yourself and not feel too bad.  Typically either sandwich stuff or canned pasta or frozen leftovers.  Even then if the first words out of DH when he gets home are about what he will be eating next, he knows I will not be happy about it.  At least for now he has started asking "so what do I need to do extra for the chickens today"  or the next best thing "do you have MORE chicks hatching today?"  It has been a while since I have hatched chicks, at least a week :)  but it did not take DH long to notice the newly filled bator.

I have to admit not our first "fight" because I've spent a "month" "Chickens Chickens Chickens! " Sorry more like a week when it's just about hatch time!

Hi All - I'm new to the forum and to raising chickens. I'm in Southern IN near Louisville, KY. So far, I have 4 RIRs, 3 NHRs and a bossy mutt hen. I still want to get BRs and BOs and who knows what else I'll end up with before my hubby cuts me off.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom