INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I have been to Brown County, its awesome, love the water fall. I miss it too haven't been able to go for 2 years now. Really need to go!!!! 

Wow I sorry, that not good... I would throw a fit... I was throwing a fit just last week, but now I'm happy ... maybe now that you said something about it they will pick up for you  :fl

I don't even eat eggs, but I like giving the girls crap about slacking lol. I do have family that eat them and 1 customer. Most I have aren't meant for laying well, but the dozen or so hatchery hens I have, hve no excuse.

Are you wanting Bantams or LF? There is a guy in my county that Raises LF RIR SC and I know someone who does the bantams as well. My daughter Raises and shows bantam Barred Rocks.

Looking for LF, I always seem to forget that nearly everything comes in bantam. If I could get in contact with him, and he has anything available, I might be able to take care of two things in one trip later in the week!

check out what I found in DH's closet while I was cleaning it out... It was supposed to be my b-day gift, in Oct. This is my horse Ransom.

It actully is not my horse but the woman that works at TSC is a personal friend and thought it looked too much like my horse so when DH went in to buy feed she showed it to him, and now you know the rest of the story.

But it is Ransom's twin right down to the saddle. even the little bit of white on his upper lip. I love it and wouldn't let him put it up till my Birthday
wink.png
he has some on his chin too, thought it showed it but it don't oh well, I still love it.

Last edited:
Made a homemade ecoglow. Works great so far. Here are a few pics of it in use in the brooder with 65 chicks.i have regular light on top just for viewing and light. It don't really put off any heat.
eduduqa2.jpg
yqy7yran.jpg
a8ygepy3.jpg
be4a3y5u.jpg

sent from your friendly neighborhood poultry raiser! cluck... cluck...

My Aching Back
Overdoing it with my yard work/entertaining my flock finally caught up with me.
sad.png
I woke up yesterday with a bad leg and lower back pain. So annoying! I haven't decided what type of doctor to see, but I'd better make up my mind. I can feel crunching in my lower back. I won't even mention how I'm even more behind on the thread . . . I will catch up, but I want to go ahead and post the following.

Here's my experience with my Jubilee Orp Adeline's Bumblefoot.

On Thursday afternoon, I called the vet and picked up pain meds for Adeline since I could tell she was feeling worse --limping more dramatically and sleeping in a nesting box the night before. That night I brought her inside to her hospital kennel.

She had an appointment on Friday afternoon. I bring my ill chickens to Dr. Gormley who raises chickens and other farm animals. Besides his regular vet practice, he also runs a wild bird rehab clinic. Adeline was the second chicken patient that he saw yesterday. lol

While I waited, he removed the scab, inspected and cleaned the area, applied antibacterial ointment, and bandaged her foot including padding. He said it was good that I brought her in before it worsened, which would have required the infamous de-kernel surgery. Just fyi-- If surgery isn't done in time and infection spreads to the bones, it's too late. I was relieved that Adeline didn't have to go through surgery, and I'm glad that I had not attempted surgery myself since it wasn't necessary. I had decided not to because I had read about the pain involved, plus the potential for excessive bleeding during surgery and infection following surgery.

In addition to pain meds, she's taking an antibiotic. I'll bring her in on Wednesday for a re-check/bandage change.

I'm listing the charges, so that our members can gain a general idea of veterinarian treatment costs:
Exam/Diagnosis/Treatment $40
Batril (antibiotic) 200mg/10cc every 12 hours $22.00
Torbutrol (pain) 15ml
every 12 hours $25.50

I'm keeping her in her hospital kennel next to the glass doors where she can see her buddies. Dr. Gormley said she could go outside for a short visit each day if her bandage didn't get too dirty. Since then, it's been rainy.
roll.png
Hopefully skies will be clear tomorrow.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable holiday weekend!
cool.png
I have to say you are a great care taker of chickens. I also think listing the prices helps. I would have thought it would be more money to take a chicken to the vet. And at those prices, I can see times where it is reasonable to get care for either a pet or breeder chicken.

Back
Top Bottom