INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Oh and agreed, I prefer to make my own sacks. I have a roll of burlap waiting to make more, if I ever get to my sewing machine! Need to make aprons for the girls too. I ran across some cheesecloth I may try also. Its tighter weave than usual, and had got it to make cheese, but am tempted to try it! Its a little too loose to make goat cheese.

Busy weekend planned, working towards winter. Still waiting to hear about my calves
sad.png
. Finishing my turkey pen this weekend hopefully. Will be tearing down my old egg coop/shed (also, hopefully) in 4 weeks. Plans are to demolish the old one, and move a newer shed in place of it. With all the termite damage, I don't see it being a problem to rip down whatsoever! Will prebuild the roosts & nest boxes to set in place once the new coop is set. Weekends really need to be longer! Hoping to have it all done before that weekends over, weather providing. Next big project is a community farrowing house for my 2 sows. I plan to breed in march if all goes well, and want my girls used to the new house well before then. Very pleased with my lil black boar, and bluebutt gilt. Both are sweet and friendly, the boar just loves a good belly rub
love.gif
The yorkshire gilt, and barrow are still a bit timid. Very odd, the breed is usually social with people, so I am taking it slow with them to feel safe around me.
Goodnite everyone!

I haven't posted much since I joined, so here's an update (it's probably going to be long)....
After moving the girls back and forth from shed coop to prefab coop turned into a tractor a couple of times, I learned that even with a chicken tractor, they will destroy your lawn...lol. I finally settled to the idea that the shed will be theirs permenantly and finished the transformation into a full time coop. We moved the screen door we made back into the shed 2 or so feet (enough room for a feed barrel on either side inside the coop. Built a 1/2 rabbit wire/ 1/2 plywood wall for the doors. Made permenant nest boxes and decided on straw rather than pine shavings for bedding. I built a run for them and am starting deep litter in that. They seem content.
In the many moves back and forth between the tractor and the shed I down sized because of the tractor. My father-in-law ended up with 3 of my BOs and the 3 silkies I got from BradSelig. Brad....the Calico and the Splash turned out to be roos. The white looks exactly the same (with the buff coloration) and has finally laid her first egg. The tractor went to my FIL to house the silkies. I ended up with an aging SW hen who had been plucked mercilessly by multiple flocks. She's recovering nicely and is the queen bee of my ladies.
I got a wild hair up my bum about having the permenant coop situated and decided I needed to add back 3 ladies and settled on Black Copper Marans. I couldn't find any locally so I ended up ordering some from Chicken Scratch Poultry out of Illinois. I'm sure I drove Angie crazy with my indecisiveness. I ordered straight run 8 FBCM, 4 FBlueCM and 2 Amaraucanas. We weren't sure if the Amaraucanas would be available. I got my babies Thursday morning and I don't believe I've ever seen the pos5 office so excited to hand off my mail to me. They seemed upset when I insisted on opening the package in the post office. SURPRISE!!!!! 19 babiesand we lost none and I believe I got the Amaraucanas after all. There's two with no leg feathers and the comb looks like a little nubbin.
Sooooo...here we are... 19 chicks on the back porch. Beautiful little fluffbutts. I will grow them out and pick out 3 or 4 or 5 or.....well, the rest of the hens will go to FIL plus one roo. So if anyone needs a FBCM (or blue) or possibly an Ameraucana roo later on, let me know. Don't know what we have just yet, but I will update that when we know. The Ameraucanas are from the William Morrow line. They aren't the hatchery crosses, they are true Ameraucanas. The Marans are from the Wade Jeane line.

More pix...

Black Rosie (plucked hen) Red Rosie, Crazy Bertha and Just Bertha. FIL had named the SLW Rosie and I already had a Rosie, so I decided 2 hens per name.

Loki and Stoner

Willow acting guilty about.something

Luna (a.k.a. Luna the tick)

Rex the bunny and the original flock
One more of the dogs, because I think it's cute...

Ok, now I'm done.

Has anyone been able to sprout BOSS? I have not had good luck with it.
Yes. I sprout BOSS all the time. There is a reason that your BOSS won't sprout.

You have to be sure to get BOSS that isn't treated. Most of the BOSS you find is for backyard bird feeders. People that have the feeders complain that the dropped seed sprouts and ruins their lawns. So...most of the BOSS out there is treated to keep it from sprouting!

I used to get it from the feed mill and still can. But I did find one brand that isn't treated that is usually available in places that sell wild bird feeding seeds. I called several of the companies and most of them said they couldn't guarantee that it isn't treated. This one told me theirs wasn't and I purchased some and it did sprout quite nicely. It is: Nature's Select by Prince Corporation, Marshfield, WI www.prince-corp.com

BTW - I've checked prices on organic BOSS.... prohibitive.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo
I missed this post! I would really like to make this show!
If they are open the day we go, I may have DH stop in so I can get the wheat.
I sprout millet, and want to get red wheat, but need to find a local source.

Aw sorry to hear! Thats pretty good, I always lose a few when we raise them.

Thanks. When I got these I expected to lose at least half because people kind of make them sound like nasty little monsters. That is why I got them, because I thought they would be gross and I wouldn't have a hard time getting rid if them. Well that didn't turn out to well, I like the darn things!

Thanks for chiming in Pipd! I would think he will settle down eventually and isn't nasty by any means, just a pest! I do really like the idea of separation but I'd like to get the other boys in there with him too for company and to help with space. Maybe I'll pull him out of that pen, put the two younger Cornish cross cockerels in there with the nice Hedemora boy and then add the Isbar boy back in a week. Or I can hobble him to slow him down. I need to take the steam out of his sails somehow! I agree that there should be hope of redemption. Thanks for the kind words on my boys. I think they are stunning and it is a lot of fun to see them out in my yard!
No problem! :) Hope everything works out with your boys! I find those Isbars so striking... :love Oh, and as for Heiser... Violet says, "Hubba hubba." ;)
Oh, one other question. My splash Hedemora pullet is around 20 weeks old and looking like she is about ready to start laying. She has gotten a bright red comb and wattles. That is great news, but I noticed the beginning of spur nubs on her legs yesterday!!!!! I don't THINK she is a he since Harris is not chasing her around like he is the other boy. Do I have a REALLY late bloomer or is she going to be a manly woman with spurs? She is in the picture above, the one that looks like a pullet with spur nubs. Just my luck.
It doesn't happen very often (except in some breeds), but females can grow spurs. Usually, you don't see spurs on hens until they are older, but I had a pullet last year that had little rose thorn spurs by the time she was that age. If you don't see any pointed saddle feathers or long, curved sickle tail feathers by that age, you've got yourself a girl. :)
@pipdzipdnreadytogo I missed this post! I would really like to make this show! If they are open the day we go, I may have DH stop in so I can get the wheat.
Hope to see you there! :D
When it comes to legumes for chickens, some of them are toxic in any form and some must be roasted to at least reduce toxcicity (which would tell you that no chicken would ever eat them if they had a choice as I've never seen a chicken build a fire and roast anything...at least mine don't...)
camp-fire-smiley.gif
I was going to say the same thing. Most places say uncooked beans are a no-no for chickens! (Love the visual about chickens at a campfire, though! :lol: My girls only come around campfires when they know they can snatch some food away from someone. We had a cookout over a campfire not too long ago and a couple of the girls kept grabbing graham crackers, marshmallows, and hot dog buns away from my little niece and nephew. :lol: )

Last edited:
I had to make my own burlap sacks. The reason - the ones you find in stores in the craft departments have very loose weave. The weave is too loose and the seeds will go right through them. So I purchased a yard and made my own from a tighter weave.

Now...there are some places that you can find burlap feed bags from time to time. But they are Huge so you need to cut them and sew anyway. The nice thing about purchasing it and doing your own is that you can get plain burlap that hasn't been treated with chemicals at most fabric stores so you know exactly what you're getting. You also make them an appropriate size for the number of birds you're feeding.

I get my grains at the feed mill and use whatever is the best price at the time. Usually barley, oats. Sometimes wheat but it is often a very high price depending on the crop at the time.

You'll find that the birds will not want to eat sprouted beans/legumes. And many of them are toxic to birds and shouldn't be fed to them anyhow so I recommend you just stick with grains, sunflower seed and the like. Even some grains need to be fed in moderation as they can have various side effects.

Take a quick look at the "grains" and "protein" links on this page: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Nutrition.html

As you go through each grain it will state various reasons not to feed some and to restrict others.

When it comes to legumes for chickens, some of them are toxic in any form and some must be roasted to at least reduce toxcicity (which would tell you that no chicken would ever eat them if they had a choice as I've never seen a chicken build a fire and roast anything...at least mine don't...)
camp-fire-smiley.gif

There are things listed on that site that I would never feed my birds. So that is my disclaimer - I only post it so that you can get an idea of what things should be avoided.

Today is my rooster's first birthday! I made him a "cake". Sadly I had no meal worms, so I used all of his other favorite treats instead. It has been the best year of my life, partly because of him :)

And finally, a video of him sharing it with Gwyneth Poultry and her chicks, Smokey & Bandit :)
0.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom