Indio Gigante and the Standard of Perfection

Alex_Zurago

Chirping
May 6, 2021
I have been fascinated for a very long time with the Indio Gigante and their absurd heights of 40 inches flat footed and above. I have found a couple breeders but it appears they only breed for the size and vigor of the bird, and not for confirmation of body or color, I have seen some with so much leakage I cant even tell what color they are supposed to be. Is there a standard for the Indio Gigantes? If not, and I wanted to produce Indio Gigantes with good confirmation and color, would it be easier to select incredibly hard from two IGs or introduce the color and confirmation in from another heritage quality bird like a Show quality Malay.

I have been fascinated for a very long time with the Indio Gigante and their absurd heights of 40 inches flat footed and above. I have found a couple breeders but it appears they only breed for the size and vigor of the bird, and not for confirmation of body or color, I have seen some with so much leakage I cant even tell what color they are supposed to be. Is there a standard for the Indio Gigantes? If not, and I wanted to produce Indio Gigantes with good confirmation and color, would it be easier to select incredibly hard from two IGs or introduce the color and confirmation in from another heritage quality bird like a Show quality Malay.
If you have access to other breeders you could possibly breed for color but I would not attempt it with only two breeders. You would be inbreeding with too few possible gene donors. I don't know how much a Malay resembles an Indio Gigante, but that would be possibility. I would only begin inbreeding with at least three hens and two roos and only breed old hen to young roo and young hen to old roo, and always keep two pens of both going at once. Cull very hard for vigor first, conformation second, and color third. Your vigor is the first thing you will lose if you don't.

If you have access to other breeders you could possibly breed for color but I would not attempt it with only two breeders. You would be inbreeding with too few possible gene donors. I don't know how much a Malay resembles an Indio Gigante, but that would be possibility. I would only begin inbreeding with at least three hens and two roos and only breed old hen to young roo and young hen to old roo, and always keep two pens of both going at once. Cull very hard for vigor first, conformation second, and color third. Your vigor is the first thing you will lose if you don't.
From what I've read and listened too from Kenny Troianos information linebreeding would be far less of an issue than direct inbreeding but adding new blood from another breeder would destroy the progress made by the Inbreeding

I've been trying to gather information on the IGs confirmation but I haven't found much. Is there a Breed Standard anywhere

I've been trying to gather information on the IGs confirmation but I haven't found much. Is there a Breed Standard anywhere
I too have had a hard time finding any good info on these birds. I can attest to their size from greenfire though mine are still young. I have 21 of them a few have crooked toes and 1 has a cross beak, none will be bread when the time comes but none came that way when I got them but they are very friendly and social birds. I also have a plethora of colors but don't know what they all are or if they have standards for them either. I will post some new pics in my gigantes thread soon.

Screenshot_20210716-211357_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210716-211227_Chrome.jpg
I know these ones have crooked toes, but do they look Stork legged or just very tall.

From what I've read and listened too from Kenny Troianos information linebreeding would be far less of an issue than direct inbreeding but adding new blood from another breeder would destroy the progress made by the Inbreeding
X2 I would not cross, you can establish a purer line from the fowl you already have.
Just keep selecting from a standard you wrote for yourself if you can’t find one. It may not match other people’s birds but at least you will have consistency in your own stock.

X2 I would not cross, you can establish a purer line from the fowl you already have.
Just keep selecting from a standard you wrote for yourself if you can’t find one. It may not match other people’s birds but at least you will have consistency in your own stock.
My concern is if they are ever standardized and the standard is radically different from what I produce. These are a couple of stags the Breeder shows on their website. They seem to have poor feathering, confirmation,crooked toes, and I cant tell if they are stork legged or just very tall.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210716-211609_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210716-211609_Chrome.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20210716-211357_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210716-211357_Chrome.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 126
if they dont breed true and they arent in the standard of perfection are they really a breed. malay, shamo, and south indian kulang asil are all big and tall and are real breeds
All breeds start somewhere, plus IGs are significantly bigger than even malays and O Shamos

How big are they? Malays can exceed 3 feet. I heard IGs are the tallest breed but always thought they were probably the height of a Malay since Greenfire tends to exaggerate.
Greenfires don't go much past a Malay, the minimum I've heard to be considered an IG is 40 inches flat footed for a rooster

Back
Top Bottom