Indoor Cats! ??

Mine have also enjoyed having a comfy spot to lounge while looking out the window and a pot of kitty grass. We have a bay window and a patio door. You can also buy cat shelves to attach to or under windows. Sometimes you can place a piece of furniture in a good spot for them. For the kitty grass, I usually plant a pot of wheat or oat grass. I water it like a house plant and it can last a long time.

Wand toys and catnip mice have been their favorite toys. Plus little ping pong sized balls to roll around and those crinkle balls that make noise. I like to keep a jar with loose catnip in it. I toss old catnip toys in it, give it a shake and let them sit. It infuses the mice with fresh catnip scent and they are fun all over again.

They also enjoy a sturdy cat scratching post. They may prefer carpet, sisal, wood or cardboard. I usually offer several choices. My cats have liked them all, but the sisal seemed to be the favorite.

Cats can do well only inside; Yet, they will really enjoy outside visits! Ours get to go outside for an hour ot two in the evening before dark. We keep them inside while away or at night. We use to let our tuxedo cat outside at night with a cat door for inside access. One night he came in with his arm all busted up (8 grand in medical expenses!!). A coyote got him since we are out in the country. He is a very tough Tom cat! We now have farm fence around the property to keep coyotes out. One of our other cats crawled up into a truck engine and she was severly injured when the truck was driven around the property. Both cats had excellent medical atention and they are now healthy and happy. They tend to just hand out on the front porch these days when they are outside. :)

Last edited:
I think a place for kitties to climb is very important, and they also like high perches where they can be queen/king of all they survey...
I've known people who cut trees and bring the trunks inside for kitties to climb on, and I've also heard of people wallpapering with woven sisal so that kitty can go right up the wall. I'm not sure I'd like that as a decorative choice, but some might!

We have 5 indoor cats at our house, mostly because, like you, we couldn't stand losing one. Have you looked into making a cat run? If you google it you'll get a lot of ideas just from the pictures. My tips for making your kitty happy...keep the house clean and give him some running space. I'm serious, my sisters male cat lives in her room and he is noticably happier whenever she does a "spring clean". When our cats have some room to run they can get some excersize and are very happy to do so, especially when chasing a marble or other round, rolling toy
wink.png
. Other than that, a cat tree or other way to get up high, their own place where they are not disturbed, cat toys and a clean litterbox are all our cats need.

ETA: I forgot about scratching posts! Haha they need that too
tongue.png

Last edited:
The last four cats I had were all indoor-only cats. They had us for company, some toys and scratching areas if they wanted them, and a clean litter box. They seemed perfectly happy and were never inclined to go outdoors.

On the other hand, I have a neighbor who has all outdoor cats that are a nuisance to all of his neighbors. They pee and poop in my garden and the other neighbors' planter boxes. They aggravate my dogs and have threatened my chickens. My neighbor doesn't even keep a litter box for them, preferring them to pee and poop where he doesn't have to deal with it. He has taken off the mesh covers that keep critters from getting under his house and encourages them to use that space. I'm certain many a litter has been born down there and many a cat has died in that space. I certainly wish his cats were indoors! He has spent time telling me how upset he has been in the past when his cats have been hit by cars and killed by dogs, but continues to let his run free.

On a farm or something like that, I can certainly see having outdoor cats to keep the vermin population down, but in a neighborhood like mine, they are just a nuisance.

Last edited:
i have a indoor cat well he is a simease so he's suppose to stay indoors but like one a month we let him out to catch some mice and chipmunks but the simease we had before she was half and half, i remember as a little kid seeing a wee little kitten wondering around our property but appearantly it trusted us enough that she let us pet her and stuff. So she became a pet. She was the nicest cat ever she was so nice to us probably because she was abused or abondoned. She was the nicest cat ever she brought us mice, never bit anybody literally, perfect cat. Then she died of the worst cat disease ever, feline lukemia. I will miss her. now we got another one he's a fat lazy house cat who is also very nice HE WONT EVEN KILL A ANIMAL LITERALLY!!! i have proof just ask lol and he is scared of puppies smaller than him lol aslo got proof PLEASE ASK FOR PROOF OF HIM BEING SCARED OF PUPPIES I BEG OF YOU!!!!

I've had both - indoor/outdoor & housecats as well as a barncat who has never been inside a house as far as I know (she wandered onto my farm at 6wks old).

My current housecat was one of 2, but when Grannycat died I did not replace her & the remaining cat seems fine by herslef.
I actually got this cat when Granny was younger to replace her pal who died at 17yo.

Now that I'm old I don't want the trouble of an indoor/outdoor cat so I have one of each.
When housecat dies I won't get another.
I may consider letting barncat into the house as she gets older & less able to take rough Winters in the barn.

Housecats need only a clean litterbox, good food, fresh water, occasional vet care & some companionship from you.
They are generally pretty solitary animals & do not need a feline companion.
Do make sure your housecat gets good dental care, especially as they get older.
If you feed canned food you will need to brush teeth or eventually pay hefty vet bills for decayed teeth to be pulled. An indoor diet doesn't allow their teeth to get clean enough without your help.

The best part of having an Inside Only housecat is you can get away for weeklong vacations without needing to board the cat.
I just leave out a huge bowl of dry kibbles and a supply of water - I have a gallon-sized self-waterer.
I buy disposable litterboxes & leave 2 or 3 out in addition to the regular permanent box, then toss those when I get home.
If I'm going to be gone longer I will have someone stop by the house to make sure there's still food & water & refill as needed.

Back
Top Bottom