Indoor coop for Bantam's

Here is a picture of my bantams in a cage and sitting on my office desk! It was a nursery for my smallest bantams that were being picked on and stepped on!

70082_mms_picture_2.jpg

They dust-bathed in the shavings all day and scattered shavings, poo and food everywhere!

The insulated room in the garage that has my brooder coop has an 1/8th inch layer of dust ON EVERYTHING!

I am revising my own thoughts on indoor chickens. The dust-bathing and the poo smell are my 2 biggest reasons.

70082_mms_picture.jpg

I was recalling the dust my 4 chicks made this summer.
I swore I would never raise chicks in the house again, the dander dust was everywhere!

Last edited:
ok it sounds like the best ideal is just to have chickens anymore.

As far as making a run beagle proof outside, Yes its doable & our old one was pretty well predator secure. The dog & the chickens had co-existed in the back yard for 8 months. I just cant see keeping chickens locked up in an area small enough that I am willing to give up in my back yard (not a big backyard).

As for other types of birds... no Thank You.. Chickens are IMHO about the only bird I can stomach since there quiet & they don't fly (much)..

Also I cant let bantams loose in the house because of the 2 cats we have (well really just one of the 2 since the older one is afraid of birds). I Was just looking for an alternative to giving up.

Edit: Oh & we get fairly cold here so I am not comfortable with the smaller birds outside in the winter time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom