Indoor coop ?

wardrum

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
N.W. Ohio
I have two Seramas and a week ago we found the rooster laying outside almost dead we brought him in and he was freezing. After a few days and alot of attention he is now back to his good Ole self but I am afraid to put him back out so I have been keeping them in a dog crate in the back room but the dust is awful. So I was wondering if I built a wood box with a glass front and used a furnace filter to catch the dust could that work or would it be a bad idea?

It probably would work.

Do you have a garage or shed you can keep them in so the dust would not be so much of a problem?

I have Seramas that I keep inside a garden shed when it gets too cold.

I'm just learning about Seramas and I read somewhere they can't handle temperatures below 40 degrees. Just thought I would throw that in. Regarding the dust, could you use newspaper in the crate instead to help keep down the dust? I know they produce dust themselves but thought it might help keep it to a managable level. Good luck! Glad your rooster pulled through!
smile.png

I have one Serama rooster that insists on staying outside with the flock.

They all sleep inside the coop at night (which is much warmer than the outside temps). So he's fine.

The rest of my Seramas stay inside my garden shed where it's about 15 degrees warmer than outside.

smile.png

Could you rig up a rat wire floor overtop of a catch pan to keep the debris down? Layers of newspaper would catch the plops and make for quick clean up. You could let your little guy out into something the size of a kitty litter pan to dust bathe once or twice a week.

Thanks for all the Ideas everyone. I do have a garage but its not heated and dosent have electric. I never thought about the wood pellets but would the chickens try to eat them?

Back
Top Bottom