indoor house chickens

Peradventure

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
remote NW CO, USA
My lavender bantam Ameraucana hen has a very docile temperament. I have taken her to the public library for story time. She calmly sits on my lap and coos while the toddlers pet her. I let her free range when we are outside doing yard work and we can monitor for predators. She follows us around like a shadow and she loves to eat the bugs! A picture of her at three-months-old is my avatar. Two OEGB (one dun & one gold) pullets are her companions.

I also have some indoor house chickens: a pair of Seramas. They are my favorite plumage color: chocolate!!!

95063_ckn_serama_roo_chocsdw.jpg

2010 cock. He was in moult when the photo was taken, so he looks ragged.

95063_ckn_serama_hen_choc.jpg

2010 hen.

Last edited:
They are beautiful! I'm considering an in house set up for my chicken. Can you tell me how you house them in your home, or show pictures? Are you encountering any problems? Thank you,

I read somewhere that an 18" X 24" (432 square inches) enclosure is adequate for a smaller pair of Serama. The acquisition of this pair was rather quick and I did not want to miss the opportunity. I do not know what class size or weight in grams or ounces these are. Because I have no prior experience with Serama nor currently have a small scale to weight them, I am guessing they are class C. I hope to purchase a scale soon and weight them. I currently have them set up in a clear tote that is approx 14" wide X 32" long X 12" height (448 square inches), but it seems inadequate. Aspen chips for bedding, cage cups on the end, and 1/2" hardware wire cloth for a lid. It might be temporary, until a better idea manifests. I will try to learn to post pictures here this weekend.

Clear totes are what I use to put my chickens in at night. During the day the free range. Obviously it's temp for them too. I have Cochins and ee's in them. Lol. I just put chicken wire over the top and it works great. They even go back there and sleep on them when it gets dark. They are in my garage.

Back
Top Bottom