1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indoor/outdoor chucks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TeacherSqueaker, Jun 1, 2016.

1. TeacherSqueaker

TeacherSqueaker New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    SouthEast MO
    Raised with 50 meat chickens each spring growing up, always loved them. Decided to get my own chucks and feed whole recipe replacing soybeans with green/yellow peas, oatmeal, buckwheat, etc.due to allergies from store-bought. Also attempting to raise super worms. Problem was, chucks weren't allowed where I lived. (sigh) Devised indoor setup with water trough under small coop. Started with 2 black sex links and 1 golden laced W, great gals! Feed spinach, arugula, kale and wild greens daily. When dogs come in from doing their stuff outside, both chucks and dogs must have treats. (They also love eggs and pancakes!) I have moved, new outdoor coop in construction, hatching quail and 9 more chuck eggs. I teach online, often having to explain the noise. My students and I will miss interaction and gentle coos at night when move outside! Wondering if I should acclimate the 7 month old girls slowly to outside coop or just turn 'em loose . . . It is getting nice and warm out.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How nice that you have been able to move and get your birds outside. I'm sure they will appreciate this very much. I'm sure at 7 months and with the weather warming up the girls will be fine to go outside.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. TeacherSqueaker

TeacherSqueaker New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    SouthEast MO
    Hey over there and thank you for your advice! Your feathered babies are beautiful!

5. TeacherSqueaker

TeacherSqueaker New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    SouthEast MO
    Thank you!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

7. TeacherSqueaker

TeacherSqueaker New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    SouthEast MO
    thanks Diva, nice to meet you. I will be joining your Old Folks when I get the chance!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Gradually move the young ones outside, day trips only at first with nights spent indoors and eventually the coop full time. This will be less stressful for them.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. TeacherSqueaker

TeacherSqueaker New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    SouthEast MO
    Thanks, it's a great place!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by