Indoor/outdoor chucks

TeacherSqueaker

Hatching
Jun 1, 2016
SouthEast MO
Raised with 50 meat chickens each spring growing up, always loved them. Decided to get my own chucks and feed whole recipe replacing soybeans with green/yellow peas, oatmeal, buckwheat, etc.due to allergies from store-bought. Also attempting to raise super worms. Problem was, chucks weren't allowed where I lived. (sigh) Devised indoor setup with water trough under small coop. Started with 2 black sex links and 1 golden laced W, great gals! Feed spinach, arugula, kale and wild greens daily. When dogs come in from doing their stuff outside, both chucks and dogs must have treats. (They also love eggs and pancakes!) I have moved, new outdoor coop in construction, hatching quail and 9 more chuck eggs. I teach online, often having to explain the noise. My students and I will miss interaction and gentle coos at night when move outside! Wondering if I should acclimate the 7 month old girls slowly to outside coop or just turn 'em loose . . . It is getting nice and warm out.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How nice that you have been able to move and get your birds outside. I'm sure they will appreciate this very much. I'm sure at 7 months and with the weather warming up the girls will be fine to go outside.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Gradually move the young ones outside, day trips only at first with nights spent indoors and eventually the coop full time. This will be less stressful for them.

Back
Top Bottom