Inexpensive fairy picnic party ideas?

dollar tree baby
big_smile.png
You can get all kinds of fairy stuff,

Get inexpensive fabric ribbon, and hang many long streamers from trees, bushes, just about anything where a breeze will gently set them to swaying.

Clear balloons filled with helium (look like bubbles) with some of the long ribbon streamers; ties a weight to only one streamer.

Provide each child with a small bottle of bubbles (the dollar store often has multi-packs of tiny bottles in the wedding section)--ours has a pack of 9 for $1. The same size package costs about $5 at the party stores.

Have the party during the early evening and decorate with "Christmas" lights (preferably not in red and green, but in white, or blue or gold or violet).

If there are fireflies in your area, provide nets and jars to catch them (but turn them loose at the end of the party).

Paint cobbles red with white polka dots (like mushrooms) and set them in a circle as a fairy ring; for more authenticity, glue a smaller stone or short length of dowel on the bottom as the stem. Have at least one for each child to keep.

Plant sunflower seeds or beans in a paper cup.

Decorate wings or tiaras or wands as already suggested (personally I like wands).

Get plastic champagne or wine glasses and serve sparkling pink lemonade (pink lemonade plus seltzer).

Make fancy sandwiches and cut out in butterfly or flower shapes. Ideas are cream cheese and strawberry slices, marmalade and marscapone, banana & honey, etc.

Set up a maypole of a 6' length of PVC pipe or dowel with various colours of pastel ribbons attached to the top. Have each child take a ribbon and dance around it, winding the ribbons all the way to the bottom. Half the kids dance clockwise, the other half counter-clockwise; make sure to have enough ribbons for each child. Once done, tape the ribbons at the bottom and save it as a souvenior for the birthday girl.

A flower or mushroom shaped pinata.

I was thinking about the balloons... get the clear ones like Sonoran suggested... but maybe you can somehow coat them with a CLEAR glue... and roll them in sparkly glitter.... with the pretty ribbons hanging down from them...
Might look tacky... just an idea..
hide.gif

If you were having it at night/dusk... the white christmas lights hanging in the trees would be very pretty too!

And the maypole is a GREAT idea!!!

Last edited:
Do a hunt for fairy treasure - have the kids follow a map to the first clue, which leads to the second, etc. You could include things to do at each stop that fairies do - good deeds, etc.
And, I just had to include this photo of my pony - feel free to use it. (click to expand) I have the pony, but unfortunately not the decorations- she was a photographer's pony when I bought her and these were her props.
30736_misc_027.jpg
[/img]

Quote:
Or put glitter inside the balloons?

Yeah! Maybe squirt some glue on the inside of the balloon(right before you blow them up) and toss in some glitter and shake... so the glitter sticks to the sides of the balloon, so it can be seen?
Glitter on the inside would be better... it might look funny on the outside of the balloon...

O.K. I've pulled out a Fairy Crafts book I have. Under the fairy party section they have firefly lanterns (looks complicated), fairy invitations (cute), petal bracelets (made with small silk flowers), flower plates (very cute and easy), blooming tableware (plastic spoon and fork disguised as a bouquet of flowers), butterfly straws (super easy) and flower flutes. The book includes ideas for fairy toys, fairy costumes, and fairy gifts. If any of this sounds interesting PM me and I can give you better explanations. A fun activity is to take them on a nature hike and let them create fairy houses (out of grasses, bark, rocks, flowers). It's amazing how creative they will be with this one. There are some fabulous books, like "Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal" out there that you might be able to get at your local library.
smile.png

Quote:
Maybe a spray on glue? Could probably just take white or clear glue, mix with water and put in a small spray bottle. Spray the blown up balloon, then sprinkle with glitter.

Back
Top Bottom