infected CRD & other chickens

Yeah, i have her in an old brooder. She fits in it just fine. I purchased some Tyaln50 at Atwoods last night and plan on treating all chickens tonight. I understand that once they get it, they will always be a carrier. If that is the case i just assume to get rid off all my flock, wait a month or two and start over again. But i hate to do that cause i have some real pretty blue laced red wyandottes. I also understand that they can pass the CRD through their hatching eggs...correct?

Is there a way to test them for CRD/MG or would i have to take them to a bird vet?

Yes MG can pass through to the eggs. Some people will tell you that you can disinfect the eggs or treat them in medication, but studies show that it penetrates the egg itself. Many people keep MG positive flocks--just have an all in/all out policy. Here is a link to NPIP testing centers--scroll down to Oklahoma, and you will find 2 centers to call--they should be able to tell you how to get a sick bird tested. Here is the link: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/labs_app.pdf

Back
Top Bottom