Infected lost toenail..

arfarmer

In the Brooder
May 8, 2021
Looking for some advice on an injury. I have 4 chickens and just got two more that are just under a year old. I went to pick up the 2 new girls today and didn’t notice anything wrong with them, but when I got home I realized that one of them appears to have a missing toenail that is infected. I know I should have checked her over better before I got her…. I want to get her healed up before introducing her to my other girls. From what I’ve read she’ll need an epsom salt soak and keep it wrapped… it looks quite bad… Any help or advice would be great!

Attachments

• B07E4DA2-498A-4AC9-AFBB-D9E95A09B0B8.jpeg
    B07E4DA2-498A-4AC9-AFBB-D9E95A09B0B8.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 16
Do you live where it's been very cold recently? This could be frostbite.

Have you checked these new chickens over thoroughly for parasites? Look at the skin around the vent. Also, you should worm them unless the previous owner did the exemplary deed just prior to selling them to you. But don't count on it. These things can infest your other two chickens.

The foreshortening is clumsy for estimating the extent of the swelling and if it's in the process of auto-amputating. Please post another photo of the toe so we can see the entire toe. Stand the chicken on a table facing you and get a shot of both feet for comparison.

If this toe is auto-amputating, there really is not much to be done for it. It will eventually fall off.

Do you live where it's been very cold recently? This could be frostbite.

Have you checked these new chickens over thoroughly for parasites? Look at the skin around the vent. Also, you should worm them unless the previous owner did the exemplary deed just prior to selling them to you. But don't count on it. These things can infest your other two chickens.

The foreshortening is clumsy for estimating the extent of the swelling and if it's in the process of auto-amputating. Please post another photo of the toe so we can see the entire toe. Stand the chicken on a table facing you and get a shot of both feet for comparison.

If this toe is auto-amputating, there really is not much to be done for it. It will eventually fall off.
Oh geeze… I will post a picture tomorrow - I did put a dressing on it, so will take a picture when I change it. I gave her a bath and she was clear for parasites, but will have to deworm her. Thank you!

Oh geeze… I will post a picture tomorrow - I did put a dressing on it, so will take a picture when I change it. I gave her a bath and she was clear for parasites, but will have to deworm her. Thank you!
Here is a picture of both feet…

Attachments

• 48B395C1-EDB6-4412-A867-0F800FB33676.jpeg
    48B395C1-EDB6-4412-A867-0F800FB33676.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 8
Good photo! Yes, it does appear the two truncated toes have frostbite damage. The blood supply is being diminished by her immune system causing that tissue to die completely. It will eventually, weeks later, turn black and dry, then fall off.

Good photo! Yes, it does appear the two truncated toes have frostbite damage. The blood supply is being diminished by her immune system causing that tissue to die completely. It will eventually, weeks later, turn black and dry, then fall off.
Thank you for the help! I’ll leave it be.

Back
Top Bottom