Infected wound - Your advice requested

You could put some in an old knee high sticking and use it like a powder puff. You could put a plastic bag over her, except the head of course, by poking a hole in the bottom for the head then dusting from underneath. You could get some spray-on permethrin/pyrethrin spray (Adam's flea and tick spray, from the vet.) You could give some Eprinex, which is ivomectrin, and pt 0.5cc on her neck skin. You could do the powder puff thing with Sevin dust.

Not sure the DE will actually treat a mice/lite infestation as well as the other meds. Ivomec will also treat any worms she might have. Have to discard the eggs for a week or so if using ivomectrin.

I would not use sevin on a bird that has raw open wounds (even if superficial).
I would not put her back in the coop... you are asking for an infection. separate her to a clean area wll away from the other birds (and their faeces) > they will peck her (you might consider the following : use larger wood chips with minimum 3 inch layer of bird sand on top (use from pet store preferably as it is sterilized > the sand acts like a "kitty litter " > any poos will clump and remain on top and be easy to remove).
Look for this product (in pet section or often found in the horse section of your supply store or it can be ordered online (the link below is the cheapest I found)> it will speed up the healing process :
http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/granulex.htm
This is an over the counter, veterinary version of a prescription human product that has been used for many years to treat bed sores, deep abrasions and thermal burns. The active ingredient, Trypsin, is an enzyme that digests necrotic (dead) tissue, enabling it to be removed while at the same time, stimulating healthy epithelial cells to develop so that they can cover open or slow healing wounds. Can be used with or without bandaging. Use twice daily, washing debris away between applications. Labeled for use on dogs, cats, horses and cattle. Manufactured by Bertek Pharmaceuticals for Pfizer Animal Health."

Absolutely DO NOT PUT HER outside. The flies will lay eggs and before you know it she will have maggots. I had a chicken with a wound years ago who got the maggots because we did not know she had the wound. I cleaned out the maggots, actually sewed up the wound with needle and thread and then kept her in the house on antibiotics and vitamins until she recovered. She lived another two years after.

Hope this helps.

I agree totally with KMMP. Flies, especially green flies, can be deadly. If you have never experienced maggots, believe me, you do not want to. They say they only eat necrotic tissue. I don't believe that at all. Around here, they KILL newborn calves, so the farmers breed their cows to deliver in the coldest part of winter.

Keep your chicken indoors, protected from flies.

As for medicines and antiseptics, etc., I have had good luck with Preparation H reducing swelling and redness. I also know you can use Povidone Iodine on a bird's skin and it won't burn it. You have to be careful what you use, because some things will burn them.

A pet store may have spray to use to kill lice and mites. I buy the kind to use on birds like parakeets and parrots, but it works on my chickens. I'd use caution using Adams flea and tick spray. That is pretty strong stuff even for dogs.

Good luck with your hen. It looks like she had a pretty nasty thing going on there. Is her vent shaped like the vents on the other birds? It almost looked like it tilted upward, but that could have been from the swelling.

Let us know how she is doing.

You need to separate her...a laundry basket or cardboard box...something where you can keep her clean and the bedding clean with ease. Preferrably inside but away from the other chickens for sure.

Get some triple antibiotic ointment without any pain reliver in it or anything that has "caine" in the name. Put it on the wound area thoroughly. then you can dust her with a mite powder and get under her wings well back and tail. Try to avoid the wound area unless you see them crawling around on her.

Get some electrolytes and vitamins in her water...and if it is available, a good antibiotic for to either have injected or that is water soluable.

Just keep her clean, dry and make sure she is eating and drinking. Just keep applying the antibiotic ointment to the wound while it heals.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom