Info needed to newbie

joemaz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
Glasgow , Scotland , uk
Hi ppl , yesterday I came home from work to find one of my three girls had died suddenly after lots of tears & then searching for reasons why but there could a million reasons.. The reason for my post is that being new to chicken keeping I was wondering if the other two will be ok on they're own it's just when they came out the coop this morning they where very quite :-/ and not making they're usual noise more of a "go go go go" noise ?? They are very active still but seem sad :( I think isa passed away from chocking on pellets? She was stretched out right next to her feeder and was a right greedy girl haha she was naughty but my favourite RIP isa x

I'm sorry you lost her. She could easily have died from something like a heart attack or stroke, or any number of other conditions causing sudden death. Also. remember that chickens hide feeling ill very well. Unless your chickens have a hard time swallowing your pellets, I would think choking on them is very unlikely. At least, the pellets sold here just aren't that firmly stuck together. But if you would prefer, are you able to buy layer feed in granules? Or perhaps a grower or flock raiser feed? In the US, we could just switch them, and provide the calcium with oyster shells.

Back
Top Bottom