info on Muscovy ducks

hatchcrazzzy

Songster
12 Years
Jun 8, 2007
kemp texas
Muscovy ducks. The Muscovy (Cairina moschata) is distinctly different genetically from common ducks. This breed is believed to have originated in South America, although ancient records of this or a similar breed have been found in Egypt. There are both colored and white feathered varieties of Muscovies. The Sudani is a breed of Muscovy found in Egypt. Unlike common ducks, the head and face of Muscovies is covered with caruncles (a fleshy growth that resembles wattles). Another prominent feature of Muscovy ducks is the large difference in body size between the drake and the duck, the male weighing 30-50% more than the female. Muscovies tolerate hot weather much better than common ducks. Muscovy eggs require about 35 days to hatch. While Muscovies can be crossed with common ducks, their offspring are sterile

Great info! You forgot that they are personable, affectionate and dog-like with their wagging tails and htey way they follow you everywhere. They love a good conversation and are cuter then heck!

I love my scovies!
love.gif

i have never had any Muscovy ducks.thank you for the info i raise roun ducks and they are very friendly.mostly when i feed them fresh tomatos.lol

Are Muscovy's good with Chickens? Is it possible to have 1 Drake and 4 female chickens? Obviously not in the same house lol, but the same yard, and raised together?
We aren't allowed to have a Rooster where we live, but I read muscovy's can be great guard ducks and are sweet.

Are Muscovy's good with Chickens? Is it possible to have 1 Drake and 4 female chickens? Obviously not in the same house lol, but the same yard, and raised together?
We aren't allowed to have a Rooster where we live, but I read muscovy's can be great guard ducks and are sweet.

Wouldn't recommend that, he probably will attempt to mate the chickens and that is not physically possible causing injury/death to your hens.

Also, FWIW a Muscovy drake is NO guard duck period. I have owned them for many years, and while they will fight with one another or other birds(aka chickens) over something or at one time here the girls(Muscovy) they will not protect a thing. They are heavier than females though and tend not to be able to fly much past the first couple of years so one could say they get eaten first because the female flies away lol.

Seriously though, i haven't even found Roosters to be massively guard like either, a few of ours have been more "step up" than others but just as many were bye and left females to fend for themselves with any threat coming forth.

My layer flock has no rooster by the way and are free ranged, they had a roo but he passed away(aged out) frankly they don't miss him lol.

Back
Top Bottom