info on raising a steer

twhudson

Chirping
12 Years
May 24, 2007
Does anyone know where on the web I might go to get info on raising a steer for meat purposes. I have a friend who is going to give me use of an acre of pasture and I would like to try this. Thanks!!!

There is a site for a family milk cow, but they talk about raising for meat too. Also, go to your local ag extension office. You could also try 4-H sites. Good luck.

theres a site called cattletoday.an a bunch of us old cattlemen hang out there.but i can answer just about any qs you might have.1st you need to get you a good healthy steer calf.an worm an give him all the reccommended shots.an slowly start him out on feed.an build him up to 1.5 to 2% of the calves bw.an slowly increase it till he is eating 15 to 20lbs of feed or more a day.an let him graze as well.an when he runs out of grass feed him hay.ask me all the qs you want ill try an answer them for you.

Just do it!! And if you can grass feed/grass finish, it will be the best beef you've ever tasted. Also, when the day comes, hang the beef at least 3 weeks. You'll never eat grocery store beef again, I promise you.
big_smile.png

Quote:
EEEEEEWWWW, grocery store beef. (shudders).

Best place to find info on the grain to feed would be your local feed mill. They can fine tune the grain with each batch according to whether the grass in the pasture is enough or to whether you have to feed dry hay too.

Remember books are good but, to use common sense and adjust to your situation-just like with the chickens! Cattle are not that hard. Start with a good strong/sturdy calf and feed well.

Back
Top Bottom