Information for successful Duck egg hatching

Ducks4u

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
Hi everyone, thanks for the add!! I’ll try to be as clear as possible. We have attempted to hatch out our Peeking duck eggs. Out of 7 eggs only 3 were fertile and 1 successfully hatched. So we are going to attempt again this time with 14 eggs. I’ve been collecting and storing the eggs at room temperature for this past week. Questions;
1) Do you wash your eggs prior to?
2) Is the Temp (99.5) & Humidity (55%) the same for Duck eggs?
3) We had an automatic egg turner, is that ok?
4) As per a video on duck hatching, we spritzed the eggs daily & let them cool down for 10 minutes. We stopped this at day 25 when we took the eggs out of the automatic turner.
5) Once the eggs made day 28 / hatch temp. 97* and humidity 70.

Any advice would be wonderful to help us make the next batch more successful.
Many thanks, Sara

No it is not recomended

99.5 for a forced air incubator, and 102 for a still air. most of us do not do 55% for humidity on duck eggs but as it can vary by location you will have to test out what works for you. Most of us do between 30-45% max with the average being between 35-40% seeming to be most productive in many egg hatches.

Auto turners are great!
4) As per a video on duck hatching, we spritzed the eggs daily & let them cool down for 10 minutes. We stopped this at day 25 when we took the eggs out of the automatic turner.
This is a personal preference for many people. I mist mine starting around day 7-10 after I candle daily. (i am a candle junky). The eggs cool while i am candling and then i mist them and put the top back on.

Most of us don't lower temp during hatch day and leave it at the 99.5, and we usually put it up to 60-65% for humidity as many ducklings seem to drown in higher sets.

Make sure you have calibrated thermometers and humidity readers in your incubator. Their are very few incubators that run true to their display when you put in a calibrated thermometers.

I hope this helps you with your next hatch. Best of luck and feel free to ask any other questions.

Hi everyone, thanks for the add!! I’ll try to be as clear as possible. We have attempted to hatch out our Peeking duck eggs. Out of 7 eggs only 3 were fertile and 1 successfully hatched. So we are going to attempt again this time with 14 eggs. I’ve been collecting and storing the eggs at room temperature for this past week. Questions;

Any advice would be wonderful to help us make the next batch more successful.
Many thanks, Sara

1. No, By washing you are taking the protective coating off the egg, and at the same time, you are forcing dirt/bacteria into the pores.

2. I go 99.5F throughout hatch, and 30-40% humidity for the first days, and 60-70% during lockdown.

3. Yes, as long as its a side turner, you should also make sure the eggs are getting turned properly, and not stuck.

4. I've never spritzed my eggs, I have fine hatch rates.

I don't every spritz. I love in a humid climate and have power hatch rates because of it. I am currently dry hatching as an experiment to see how it goes. So far less quitters.

where do you live? We are in North Carolina, Charlotte area.

1. No, By washing you are taking the protective coating off the egg, and at the same time, you are forcing dirt/bacteria into the pores.

2. I go 99.5F throughout hatch, and 30-40% humidity for the first days, and 60-70% during lockdown.

3. Yes, as long as its a side turner, you should also make sure the eggs are getting turned properly, and not stuck.

Do duck eggs prefer a lower humidity than chicken eggs? I think this may have been my biggest mistake, keeping the humidity so high (55 first 25 days & then 70 during hatching).

How would I know if it’s a side turner?
I put the eggs in point side down and the turner rocked from left to right,

Back
Top Bottom