Ingenius space-saving feeder...or is it??

Ozchook

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Melbourne
I am currently building a small coop (about 4ft x 7ft and 6ft high at roof apex) for 4-5 chooks, and wanted to put in a space saving feeder. I had the idea (I'm sure it's not new but I'm claiming it!) of using a capped 4ft length of plastic drain pipe with a 90 degree elbow and a 3ft capped horizontal piece, cut out, as the trough part. I was going to mount the vertical 4ft part on the outside of the coop to save space and so it can be filled without entering the coop. The horizontal piece would pass through the coop wall and be flush against the inner wall.
Any reasons why this wouldn't work?? Would it hold sufficient feed not to be topping it up every day? Thanks for your thoughts.

I have heard four ounces of feed per bird per day, not counting marauding pests like rodents and yard birds. Sounds like it would hold a lot of feed. You don't say what size pipe you were planning on using. I got some 6" square vinyl fence post remnants for $1.50 for two three foot lengths and LOVE them! I put them inside the coop, just cut a big notch in the bottom, set it in a small plastic rectangular about five inches deep. Works GREAT!!! Zero feed wastage now, and only have to fill it up maybe once a week. I didn't attach it to the red pan at all, just set it down in there and tied a loose loop of string to the chain link near the top to support it. I can lift it out any time I want to fill the feeder higher, or to remove it completely and dump the crumbs out to keep it clean.

gravityfeeder.jpg

Yes!

Sorry I don't have a picture handy of my feeder, but it is exactly what you discribed (right down to the vertical pipe being outside the coop). Here are a few pointers that helped me. My cut pipe trough is very slightly tipped so that crumbles feed down better. I also took a very small section of the cut pipe and cut 1" bands that snap over the top of the trough part every few inches. I have one hen that like the throw her head to the side and this blocks her effort to waste food. If I get a picture and this is still being bumped around, I'll post it.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

Excellent!, Thanks for the tips guys
thumbsup.gif

JMPE, no such thing as a new idea eh? Can I still pretend I thought of it first!! How long is your pipe (horizontal and vertical bits), and how long do you go between refills? Also how much have you tipped it, an inch or so over its length?

Hey Ozchook -
If you visit my page you'll see the feeder I built using downspout stuff - I used a 45 and a 90 degree piece at the bottom to create the feeding part, and the stuff I got had a nifty funnel piece for the top that makes it easy to fill. Might be something similar available downunder. And it was super-cheap!
Cheers!

You bet. I researched "PVC" feeder in the search bar. Many good posts and pictures! I used to use a hanging traditional feeder, know I build a feeder out of 3 inch PVC pipe (Straight piece, 90 degree bend and straight piece with a trough opening and one end cap.) Saves space and most importantly saves a ton of feed!!! Waste has been eliminated for the most part.
ON

Thanks O.N, sounds like a plan then! Now I just need to find somewhere to scrounge a length of pipe from. I've set myself the goal of making the whole coop without spending any money, all from reclaimed and recycled materials, and so far it's going well. I was just running short of timber when my boss told me he's knocking down an old shed...gutter, roofing, timber...yeeha!
I am beginning to realize, however, that the flaw of this scheme may become apparent when it comes to the run and I need chicken wire and steel mesh..oh well worth a try eh?

So here are a few pictures of my feeder. It is small. 3" pipe - 3' up and just over 2' for the trough. I have about a 1 1/2" - 2" drop on the trough. With just my five hens, I fill it about ever 4 days. All I wanted was something to last a weekend and could be filled from the outside. This way we can head up to the lake for the weekend without worry, and on longer trips, my neighbor can refill it without having to deal with the girls.

38106_feeder_1.jpg

38106_feeder_3.jpg

38106_feeder_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom