Ingrown toe nail & tiny black bugs

jessica8804

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 14, 2013
I have a chicken (I think it’s a rooster that’s not crowing yet) that’s 8 mo old. When he was 2 months old he got picked in a lot and almost died once. One of the injuries was broken toe nail that finally started growing back but there’s skin over it, I think. No puss. When I squeeze it he doesn’t steam to mind. I think I can feel the nail getting close to the tip?

He also has tiny black bugs that I noticed on my hands after I hold him. Will DE clear this up or do I need something else too?

I have an appointment with an exotic vet tomorrow, as I live in the burbs of Chicago. Should I keep the appointment or maybe reschedule for in a week or so, in the hope that it will just work it self out?

Attachments

• A83226A5-61ED-4DD7-8802-6C056AA15FAA.jpeg
    A83226A5-61ED-4DD7-8802-6C056AA15FAA.jpeg
    560.6 KB · Views: 39
  • C8A6C5FC-652F-46D2-B4A7-6C0CB6B801CC.jpeg
    C8A6C5FC-652F-46D2-B4A7-6C0CB6B801CC.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 26
A close up of the toe would be helpful. While zooming in enlarges the feet, it's not enough to see the detail necessary to see clearly what's going on with the tip of the middle toe on the right foot.

What I am able to see is a toe that lost it's nail all together. I have several chickens that have lost their toe nails over the years. They broke off and never grew back since the breakage occurred well back in the quick. Unless a closer look would reveal an actual toe nail, I don't see it. If the nail is missing, it's of no concern. None of my chickens have missed their toe nails after losing them.

One more observation. If there is an ingrown nail on that toe, the tip appears to be blackening and the tissue right behind it appears to be losing its blood supply. This may indicate the tip is infected and the response in chickens to an extremity being infected is to wall off the infection with swelling and by shutting down blood to it. This causes the infected tip to die, dry up, and fall off. I've observed this phenomenon in my own flock. In my chicken's case, she lost her entire middle toe, and was none the worse for it.

In other words, chickens handle toe problems just splendidly.

I'd still be interested in seeing a closeup of the toe.

2B386AF6-D7D3-45B5-8876-3225A63877E6.jpeg
A95DD25A-56B9-4345-B244-9F9D645D52CB.jpeg
19E9BD4E-017D-4352-B4B1-CA7572E060A9.jpeg
A close up of the toe would be helpful. While zooming in enlarges the feet, it's not enough to see the detail necessary to see clearly what's going on with the tip of the middle toe on the right foot.

What I am able to see is a toe that lost it's nail all together. I have several chickens that have lost their toe nails over the years. They broke off and never grew back since the breakage occurred well back in the quick. Unless a closer look would reveal an actual toe nail, I don't see it. If the nail is missing, it's of no concern. None of my chickens have missed their toe nails after losing them.

One of the injuries was broken toe nail that finally started growing back but there’s skin over it, I think.
He also has tiny black bugs that I noticed on my hands after I hold him. Will DE clear this up or do I need something else too?

Does his 3rd toe spread out from the middle toe? or do they seem like they a fused together somehow?
The end of the toe does look like it's blackening and will probably eventually fall off. You mention it was injured? If you had not said that, I would have thought frostbite.
Regardless, I would leave it alone unless he seems to be in distress or is having trouble walking.

DE will not treat lice or mites, get a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray and treat him with that, it wouldn't hurt to treat any other chickens you have as well. Clean out your housing and treat that too. Repeat in 7-10 days.

upload_2019-3-7_9-16-9.png

upload_2019-3-7_9-16-33.png

I wouldn't worry about the toe, it will do what it's going to do.

What I would worry about is that you have mites. What you'll want to do is clear out all the bedding from your coop and any areas you keep chickens. Nestboxes and all. Then get yourself to the farm store and find liquid Permethrin concentrate, it will be with the horse/cattle/livestock supplies. Get yourself a spray bottle while you're there, or a pump sprayer if you feel like spending a bit more. Since it's cold, also look for Poultry Dust, that's permethrin in a powder form.

Mix up your liquid permethrin to label instructions and spray every inch of your coop, especially in cracks and crevices, and nests. Then gather all of your chickens and dust them with the dust. Some people like to use a small garbage bag, put a decent amount of dust in it, then place the bird in and gather the bag up around the neck and then shake the bag all around - that wastes less dust and keeps it out of their face.

Repeat this entire process in 10 days.

You can also sprinkle the dust under and in your bedding and nest material. That is, the clean material you put in after spraying the coop.

I also thought at first that inside toe was fused to the middle toe but unless you correct this as a misunderstanding, we'll assume the middle toe is on its own.

After see a closeup, my appraisal remains the same. I wouldn't waste money on a vet for that.

And black bugs would suggest mites. You will need to clean and treat the entire coop as well as all your chickens. Then treat again in a week, and again in a week.

The toe are all separated. Not fused. Sorry for the poor pictures. Thank you for your help!! Canceled my appointment

Back
Top Bottom