Injectable pain med recs?

Jessmidwest

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2024
Dealing with an oviduct tumor in our lavender orpington. Because avian medicine seems to be a crapshoot based on your vet's experience, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for injectable pain meds for the palliative care phase? I did some reading earlier and it gets muddy with type of bird...parrot. bird of prey, etc.

I'm not so sure she'll accept Meloxicam covered worms. We're already doing lasix injections and ascites management with the vet. Her quality of life seems okay. If I didn't know about the tumor, I don't think I would suspect something was wrong with her based on behavior.

She's bffs with our speckled Sussex, so I'm trying to give them time. Starting with two more chicks on Wed so our Sussex isn't alone too long.

Any med recommendation greatly appreciated. We have another appt today.

Attachments

• PXL_20240513_234522374.jpg
    PXL_20240513_234522374.jpg
    932.2 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240515_233812812.jpg
    PXL_20240515_233812812.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
I wish I could help. If it was people medicine I could wax on about it.
I hope, no I'm sure you can get some help soon.
The watermelon tells me your on the right track. Spoil them as long as you can. In my little experience, let the friend see her when she passes. I have carried dead chickens away before the others knew and the survivors were confuse. They looked around the yard each morning for their lost friend.
I would be curious to see if others have had that experience.

Last edited:
I wish I could help. If it was people medicine I could wax on about it.
I hope, no I'm sure you can get some help soon.
The watermelon tells me your on the right track. Spoil them as long as you can. In my little experience, let the friend see her when she passes. I have carried dead chickens away before the others knew and the survivors were confuse. They looked around the yard each morning for their lost friend.
I would be curious to see if others have had that experience.
Yes her friend suddenly vanishing on her is also a worry for me. I will ask the vet if she has any thoughts on this today. Unless something sudden happens, we'll likely be euthanizing her once she shows she's ready for hen heaven, at the vet's office. I do plan to bury her at home. Not sure I want to show our other hen her dead sister, but maybe it's the right thing to do. Thanks for your thoughts!

A brief update. Orpington has been doing exceptionally well lately. Her and her best hen are living it up. Additionally, we've added two babies (one buff orpington and one accidental barred rock - she was intended to be a sapphire gem, but the local country store made a mistake). The barred rock is hilarious, so we're bob ross'ing this one.

The vet is now backing down on her 100% certainty that Orpington has a tumor. Now, maybe a reproductive inflammatory process (words are hard). She's open to a surgery that would remove the questionable tissue, but leave behind the ovary. Aka, she'll be on birth control either way. The vet needed some time to look into, and order, the implant because she hasn't embarked on this journey before.

As it stands we're continuing on lasix 2x/day (I think 4mg/kg).

She's spoiled to the hilt and loving life.

Will add some more precious bird pics soon!

Godspeed, hen lovers.

I don’t know that I have any clue on your question about injectable pain killers.
But I do believe if possible she should die with her friends around.
You read horror stories of the hens pecking their dying sister. But that has not been my experience at all.
I have had hens take turns in sitting with the dying flock mate and I once had what looked awfully like a family gathering with the whole group visiting.
In that case I placed her on the floor well in sight of the main roost and her closest friend got up several times in the night to check on her.
I can’t prove it, but my observation suggests they understand death and it will be less confusing to them if they are part of the process, and probably comforting to the hen that is dying.
Big hugs for looking after her so well.

You should give her lots of treats and cuddles! This must be awful for you! When/if she passes it might help to remember that she isn't sad, she feels relief and acceptance. You are the sad one. It helps me when pets die.
Also, are you sure this vet is reliable? I took a chicken to one and they made the problem worse. Sorry to doubt your judgement, but sometimes people (me included) trust vets without giving it a second thought. Its always worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom