Injection site wound, is peroxide safe for a turkey skin or what can I do now ?

No, I have some but chose to use sea salt mixed 1/4 cup to 2cups water, I read it should be done 4 times a day but been able to do this about every 8 hours, seems to be cleaning wound area then I apply reg neosporin to a 2x2 pad and cover for another 8 hours approx

Last edited:
I was reading up on the use of Epsom salt for infections and decided to try it. I think Epsom salts are less irritating to his skin and he lay still allowing the solution to stay for about 15min, I then applied plain neosporin (without pain reliever) and a 2x2 gauze patch.

When looking at wound tonight it seems to be drying nicely, much less infected looking , and he is beginning to stand without being so dizzy and winded, wait another night now and see how it looks in the morning

All table salt is sea salt, composed of sodium chloride with variable amounts of small additional contaminants and additives which give it variability in color and clearness. Sodium chloride is very irritating and painful in wounds - try sprinkling some salt into a cut.

Epsom salt is magnesium chloride. When diluted and applied to a wound as a compress or soak, it has properties which are soothing and reduce inflammation. Taken orally it causes purging of the digestive tract, and can be used to alleviate lead poisoning.

These two are not interchangable.

Last edited:
Yup he's getting better with Epsom salts, he is eating today and hope to see the pain reduce so he will walk more, he has been standing at least to move about, so will see again tommorow
Thanks 1 mutts fan for clearing up the salts issue
Least his appetite returned
Thanks

As morning comes I looked out to find my turkey where he was but he has ventured out into the yard, now the question is, How long should I continue the Epsom salt compresses , he had what looked like a bruised breast, so I'm sure it was sore, but hopefully the wound will be dry now:)

Back
Top Bottom