Turkey chest wound - what can I do?

The other toms are getting butchered on Friday. I’m keeping the two hens I still have - do you think the hens will pick on him if he is still in recovery? If not, I just have to keep him separated until Friday. He started attempting to strut today for the first time since his second injury. Didn’t quite puff up all the way, but got about halfway there.
@Molpet can answer this better than I can, since I don't have Turkeys and can't say what Tom/Hen behavior is like.

That said, I would want him to be healthy and healed before putting him with the hens. I know that chicken Hens will pick at a rooster that has scabbing/injuries. I have even had roosters just stand there and let them pick at their scabs too🙄 Maybe it's a chicken thing, I don't know.

The other toms are getting butchered on Friday. I’m keeping the two hens I still have - do you think the hens will pick on him if he is still in recovery? If not, I just have to keep him separated until Friday. He started attempting to strut today for the first time since his second injury. Didn’t quite puff up all the way, but got about halfway there.
I would keep him separated until he is fully healed. My hens would definitely pick on my tom if he looked anything like that. I wouldn’t risk it.

Great job taking care of him! He’s very lucky to have you.

How is he doing?

Back
Top Bottom