Injured bantam hen, how do I treat her eye injuries?

DavidMed

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 27, 2014
Background: two nights ago a possum got into my hen enclosure and up into the coop. I have three hens in there, two black laced wyandottes and little bantam. The bantam was grabbed from behind, got a good bite on her tail end and few very light scratches around her R cheek. The other hens were unharmed. I took the bantam out and dipped her back end in some warm mild soapy water to clean her off then sprayed the area with a foaming children's neosporin (all we had on hand, no painkiller ingredients). I ignored the face scratches because they seemed very light and was focused on what looked the more severe wound. Didn't want to dip her head under water (she was already super upset). 24 hours later and that was an obvious mistake. Her R face/eye is very swollen, she keep the eye closed mostly. I took her out again yesterday, washed her face down with more warm water w mild natural soap and applied bacitracin gel to the wounds. Still swollen this morning, some discharge from eye now.

Question: What can I treat her eye and face with that is safe and effective against infection? I'm afraid to get anything like iodine in her eye. Also not likely to get her treated by a vet or spend money on antibiotics.

Background: two nights ago a possum got into my hen enclosure and up into the coop. I have three hens in there, two black laced wyandottes and little bantam. The bantam was grabbed from behind, got a good bite on her tail end and few very light scratches around her R cheek. The other hens were unharmed. I took the bantam out and dipped her back end in some warm mild soapy water to clean her off then sprayed the area with a foaming children's neosporin (all we had on hand, no painkiller ingredients). I ignored the face scratches because they seemed very light and was focused on what looked the more severe wound. Didn't want to dip her head under water (she was already super upset). 24 hours later and that was an obvious mistake. Her R face/eye is very swollen, she keep the eye closed mostly. I took her out again yesterday, washed her face down with more warm water w mild natural soap and applied bacitracin gel to the wounds. Still swollen this morning, some discharge from eye now.

Question: What can I treat her eye and face with that is safe and effective against infection? I'm afraid to get anything like iodine in her eye. Also not likely to get her treated by a vet or spend money on antibiotics.
Poor girl. Pictures would be very helpful.

@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Do you have any oral antibiotics on hand? I think since the facial lacerations appear to be infected, it would be a good idea, in addition to the topical antibiotic @Katie386 suggested. If not, ask at Tractor Supply for amoxycillin.

It's also not too late to treat for shock. Even delayed shock can kill. Give her warm Gatoraid or sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda all day today.

Vetericyn spray is an excellent wound treatment, and I like to use it along with an antibacterial wound ointment.

Do you have any oral antibiotics on hand? I think since the facial lacerations appear to be infected, it would be a good idea, in addition to the topical antibiotic @Katie386 suggested. If not, ask at Tractor Supply for amoxycillin.

It's also not too late to treat for shock. Even delayed shock can kill. Give her warm Gatoraid or sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda all day today.

Vetericyn spray is an excellent wound treatment, and I like to use it along with an antibacterial wound ointment.
Thanks, good ideas. I don't have any antibiotics on hand. No Tractor Supply. I';m in suburbia, Redwood City, CA. Have a Petco near me and the feed store I go to (they have some meds but overpriced, but might have to get the Vetericyn there). Can Vetericyn be sprayed around the eye?

Yes, Vetericyn is safe to use around the eyes, just avoid getting it directly into the eyes.

California has giant road blocks to its citizens procuring antibiotics for their pets and livestock. Unfortunately. Tracking them down will require perseverance, ingenuity, and maybe subterfuge.

Do you have any friends with leftover prescription antibiotics sitting in their bathrooms? Ask around.

Do you have any out-of-state friends or relatives that can slip you some from outside the California gulag?

A vet is a final resort. Even if they know nothing about chickens, if you are persuasive and charming, you might be able to talk them into prescribing something such as all purpose amoxicillin 250mg. for your chicken. Then see if your local Walmart has the PetRX program to fill it. If not, any number of online pet and livestock vet supplies will ship to you in your state with the prescription FAXed by the vet.

Found a "vetericyn plus eye wash" at Petco and applied that this afternoon along with more Neosporin for the wounds on her butt. She seemed to be doing better this afternoon so I think it's all working. R eye still swollen but a little less so and she was more active and vocal today. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom