Injured chick

Taylettice

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2018
I have a week old silkie chick. I just went upstairs to check on them to discover the rack I had across the brooder box had fallen inside the box and had pinned down a chick. It's not very heavy and did not fall from very far( it was across the top of the diaper box I used as a brooder) it's been a couple of hours since I found the chick but she has been chirping alot and I even here a constant clicking sound coming from her when I put my ear up to her body. She also will not put any weight on one leg. I cant tell if there is any damage to the leg because I this is my first year with chickens. Is there anything I should be checking for.

Attachments

• 20181023_122220.jpg
    20181023_122220.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20181023_122234.jpg
    20181023_122234.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20181023_122224.jpg
    20181023_122224.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 17
Is she eating and drinking?
Baby chicks are constantly hungry so I would be alarmed if she isn’t interested in food or water. But if she’s still eating fine, she’s probably ok!
You can try to cheer her up with a crumbled hard boiled egg. My chicks go nuts when I spoil them with one! It’s good for them too, just not every day.

She is putting some weight on the sore leg now. It looks like the leg goes out to the side a bit when shes laying down.but I'm not sure if she is just holding it out that way to avoid putting weight on it. There was alot of chirping from her last night but shes quieter now. She stays under the light but will get up to eat and drink.

I have a week old silkie chick. I just went upstairs to check on them to discover the rack I had across the brooder box had fallen inside the box and had pinned down a chick. It's not very heavy and did not fall from very far( it was across the top of the diaper box I used as a brooder) it's been a couple of hours since I found the chick but she has been chirping alot and I even here a constant clicking sound coming from her when I put my ear up to her body. She also will not put any weight on one leg. I cant tell if there is any damage to the leg because I this is my first year with chickens. Is there anything I should be checking for.

Hi ,
Oh that's not good
Chicks sometimes play fun with each other jump.and fall and get injured

Gently feel if she broke her leg
@staceyj will def help u knowing

I will separate her and give her calm warm place where she can sit

A broken leg may look crooked and swollen, and the bird won't walk on it. Broken legs can be splinted, but it's best to let a vet or someone experienced in bird rehabilitation do this. In a young bird, the bones heal quickly. Once again, you should separate the bird from your flock until it has healed..
In either case, if a bone is protruding through the skin, infection is extremely likely, and the chances of the bird making it are poor

Check it if she's able to walking but not properly i.dont think she broke her leg completely maybe just an injury
Give her some boiled egg which helps healing fast
Do u have some multivitamin ?

If she's not bearing weight by tomorrow, see if you can find a vet to look at her.

I found a poor little feed store chick who'd been injured, untreated, and unfortunately couldn't be helped because it "healed" itself in such a way that she couldn't use it- the hock joint was 'frozen' and the leg was rotated, stuck bent up and out. An injury that might have been treatable had it been addressed soon after it happened turned into a sad end to a beautiful chick.

P1260782.JPG

Attachments

• P1260780.JPG
    P1260780.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom