Injured Chicken

Colberon

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Northern Maine
I’m so upset, I have a scissor beak and her 4 flock mates hanged up on her today and pecked her until she’s bleeding. I have separated her, but what should I put on it?

Attachments

• D0A07573-72EB-411E-9B09-02DC30394FB1.jpeg
    D0A07573-72EB-411E-9B09-02DC30394FB1.jpeg
    659 KB · Views: 9
I’m so upset, I have a scissor beak and her 4 flock mates hanged up on her today and pecked her until she’s bleeding. I have separated her, but what should I put on it?
Poor girl.
I would make sure it is clean then disinfect with Vetericyn spray or something similar. Then you can either coat it with pine tar or dab some blue kote on it.

Good advice. You may also want to keep her with the others, but separated in a wire dog crate until she heals some. Do you feed her moist feed in a bowl with tall sides?

Feather picking may be due to overcrowding, boredom from not getting outside, too little protein in the diet, or some others. Are you feeding a balanced layer or all flock feed, and limiting treats?

Good advice. You may also want to keep her with the others, but separated in a wire dog crate until she heals some. Do you feed her moist feed in a bowl with tall sides?

Feather picking may be due to overcrowding, boredom from not getting outside, too little protein in the diet, or some others. Are you feeding a balanced layer or all flock feed, and limiting treats?
We are definitely going to keep her separated for a while. We only have five chickens chicken's in a coupe that is about 4x4x4, but they have a large 5ft x 15ft and 6ft tall run that his attached right to the coupe so they can go in and out all day and we are going to close in the run this winter and use see poly roof to allow lots of sunlight and leave space at the top for ventilation. Marley is fed in a deep dish for both food (Flock Raiser Crumbles) and water and eats very well. She has learned to eat dandelion greens by turning her head/beak upside down when she eats. She is also able to get pieces of watermelon, tomato and cucumber when offered. I believe that she is just at the bottom of the pecking order and they know she can't peck back. When I noticed this today they were pecking her in the run and they have a lot of space out there with water, perch and a swing.

They usually like to be around the others for company, so if your crate or pen can remain with the others most of the time, that would be good. Watch out for flies though. The pine tar would probably keep them away, or you could use some plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment.

I think we’ll get a smaller coop for her and put it in one end of the run and put up a wire divider so they can socialize but not peck her.

Attachments

• C52C1CC1-CA64-48A6-AC17-35966F142C1E.jpeg
    C52C1CC1-CA64-48A6-AC17-35966F142C1E.jpeg
    734.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom