Injured Chicken

7sweetgirls

Chirping
Sep 6, 2015
Hi We were playing ball last night with our dogs and the ball bounced on the ground and hit our 4.5 month old cochin. (It was one of those hard Kong balls) She seemed fine after, but then started to limp and then just squat down. I have her separated from my other girls at the moment and have her in a cat carrier. She was eating and is vocal, I am sure she is not happy with being in a box.... she is just very unstable on her feet and goes down into that squat. I saw that I can give her some aspirin for pain. Do you have any other suggestions for me? I feel so bad for her. Thanks so much

I saw that I can give her some aspirin for pain. Do you have any other suggestions for me? I feel so bad for her.
Pain is natures way of slowing us down so we don't hurt ourselves more.. and not the evil thing it's always made out to be.

Sometimes it can be important not to mask the symptom like pain. You indicate you did see the injury take place and did a great job confining her to limit movement.. Have you also felt the leg for swelling, heat, bruising, etc.. and been able to ensure there was no break or something that needs further assistance already?

Aspirin is the correct thing to use short term if you deem it needed, though I am unfamiliar with dosage. Since the pain is not preventing eating.. I *might* offer it, if I were going to continue to confine.. to help reduce swelling. If not confined the artificial sense of well being might not protect the joint or bone or whatever is injure.. rest (if not seriously stressed) helps things heal. If she wasn't getting picked on, still allowed to eat and able to mostly keep up with the other.. then I might not use confinement or aspirin.. sometimes movement helps other times stasis is better.. it depends so much on the injury itself!

The chicken sling, I haven't used yet and had forgotten about, but it's a good idea.

Dogs and chickens don't have the same digestive systems and I'm not sure what kind of cannabinoid receptors they have as I haven't researched either. I tried CBD for one of my dogs.. and wasn't impressed.. BUT many things work differently in different individuals even among the same species.. so YMMV.

What I can tell you is Amazon does NOT allow the sale of CBD on their site and hemp oil that doesn't gave a drop of CBD in it sold as a health supplement, they make any claim they want.. is snake oil! :hmm

I reviewed the product shown above.. all the ingredients.. NO, zero, zip, nada drop of cbd in it nor does it claim to. So that's hemp oil made from hemo after the cbd was already extracted as far as I can tell.. kinda like olive oil once the olive is gone. What condition did it help and was it labeled to help that? :confused:

If you're gonna use CBD buy something that at least has a tested and labeled quantifiable amount.. and I'm not condoning the use of such but just showing the difference in the product for informational purposes and discussion..
https://edensherbals.com/

CBD and THC are just the two cannabinoids that most folks are familiar with.. there are many more like CBG and others but not much is known about them at them at this time. Much research is yet to be done once fear mongering from government under tobacco lobby pulls their heads out and recognize there is SOME medical use.. probably under big pharm lobby.. lol you can't win, we just keep trying to EDUCATE ourselves.. and don't buy into marketing ploys or propaganda.. asking why is curiosity not disobedience! Then we are free to make our OWN choice. :highfive:

I'm sorry your bird was hurt! And for sharing so many of my thoughts. I hope she recovers quickly! If she does need to stay inside the kennel, make sure she stays in sight of the flock so pecking order won't disrupt too much. If she normally roost, she may not be comfortable doing so.

:fl

Hi...my little pekin went down with what we suspect is a broken leg a week ago...bottom part of leg/foot floppy and unresponsive (Vet unable to confirm without x-rays, but is pretty sure its a break due to arthritis) He did say as long as its warm, there is good blood flow (which there is) …..build her a sling/hammock, and maybe a chicken walker to exercise her when she feels a bit better (see our one here) and get a leg brace once swelling has gone down.. Immobilising any break and rest is the key...Get a finger splint that you can mould to the shape of the leg, is breathable and can be adjusted is a good choice as a brace and cheap. Only time and patience will tell if this heals our little girl....at night she sleeps on the floor of the coop with her Sisters where they cant tread on her and she can stretch out....daytime she merrily sits in her swing listening to music like the Diva she is :)
ch4.jpg
ch3.jpg
ch1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi...my little pekin went down with what we suspect is a broken leg a week ago...bottom part of leg/foot floppy and unresponsive (Vet unable to confirm without x-rays, but is pretty sure its a break due to arthritis) He did say as long as its warm, there is good blood flow (which there is) …..build her a sling/hammock, and maybe a chicken walker to exercise her when she feels a bit better (see our one here) and get a leg brace once swelling has gone down.. Immobilising any break and rest is the key...Get a finger splint that you can mould to the shape of the leg, is breathable and can be adjusted is a good choice as a brace and cheap. Only time and patience will tell if this heals our little girl....at night she sleeps on the floor of the coop with her Sisters where they cant tread on her and she can stretch out....daytime she merrily sits in her swing listening to music like the Diva she is :)View attachment 2304174View attachment 2304175View attachment 2304176
You should cut holes in the hammock for her legs so they can hang, then they wont be all bunched up underneath her! So glad she's doing good!
Ps. I had a chicken that had a sprain. We kept her resting with our broody duck for around a month and then let her out when our broody didn't hatch eggs. She hardly moved the whole time and gets around fine, but she still limps when she's walking. She'll run around no problem, and she roosts, but she still limps. She doesn't move much unless there something interesting, like kitchen scraps, or free range time, I guess I am wondering if a chicken walker would help? I was told she would probably just be permanently lame by people on this site, but just thought i'de ask!:D

Hi, if you look at pics you can see she has leg holes ( quite large as they very feathery legs!) and a ‘poop’ hole cut in too...very essential 🤣
The chicken Walker is more for rehab once the leg is on the mend, and also to make sure the other leg doesn’t ‘waste’ away....it was really easy to make But I don’t think now it will help your chook...if she is getting around fine and has a quality of life, then all good. Only time will tell with ours but we are expecting a permanent limp too. It all takes time and luck 👍

Back
Top Bottom