Injured crop

JenHarmon

Songster
Apr 26, 2017
Texas
Ok, I rescued this little turken hen. She was attacked by a dog and some of her sibling my s were killed. A few weeks later,a rooster attacked her and killed her remaining siblings. She was the only surviver and she was injured. Well, after a couple weeks, she was put with ducks because no other chicken would be nice. When I saw her, she was skin and bones so I brought her home. She has been here about a week and a half and has put on weight and is sweet. I had her in a cage in my garage where she would be safe. I noticed she was acting depressed but figured she was sad and lonely. Right now my chickens are in my garage because their coop needs repairs. I get her and bring her in today and i notice this wound on her crop. I know it was not there when she got here. I feel awful for not noticing it before now. What could have happened?? Did her crop burst?? What should I do? I brought her in the house and put her in a tote I usually use as a brooder. She is eating and drinking great ...just seems a bit weak. I am giving her vitamins and electrolytes.he wound is not all gooey that is the glare. It is healing and dry.

Attachments

• 1209171804.jpg
    1209171804.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 61
She walksaround and stuff but is doing this too...laying down....

Attachments

• 1209171820.jpg
    1209171820.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 39
Could you post one more with her whole body facing us so we can see how large the crop is in relation to the rest of her?

Crops are the easiest parts of the body to heal. They are designed to resist infection.(Look what goes into them.) You're doing great! The only other things I would recommend is Vetericyn spray on the wound every day, and keep the wound moist with an antibiotic ointment, not letting it dry out. Between the Vetericyn and keeping it moist, the tissue will grow in and fill the wound in no time.

If this little girl is rundown, I would also recommend Poultry Nutri-drench to build her back up. From your description, she sounds weak. You could also supplement her feed with some boiled egg or tofu for extra protein.

Poor little girl. It's so good of you to help her.

The crop wound looks recent. If it is, I'd say that's good news. Did you remove the feathers, or was she already bald on her crop? It looks the same as the baldness on her neck.

Could you post one more with her whole body facing us so we can see how large the crop is in relation to the rest of her?

Crops are the easiest parts of the body to heal. They are designed to resist infection.(Look what goes into them.) You're doing great! The only other things I would recommend is Vetericyn spray on the wound every day, and keep the wound moist with an antibiotic ointment, not letting it dry out. Between the Vetericyn and keeping it moist, the tissue will grow in and fill the wound in no time.

If this little girl is rundown, I would also recommend Poultry Nutri-drench to build her back up. From your description, she sounds weak. You could also supplement her feed with some boiled egg or tofu for extra protein.
This is a good education for me.

I'm not fond of stitches and think on animals they can complicate healing. Would you say definitely no stitches on her crop, then, in case it's suggested? The crop expands and contracts, which would present problems with stitches. Is my thinking on this correct?

Also, what kind of turkey is she? Her coloring is pretty.

No, the crop does not need stitches. In fact, when we need to perform crop surgery on an impacted crop, incisions are made first on the outder skin, then slightly adjacent to that on the inner skin. After the crop contents are clean out, the cuts get sprayed with Vetericyn and left to close on their own.

The patient is showing no signs of infection, and although the wound is not a clean cut, the tissue appears to be building from the perimeter as it should.

She appears to be a Turken or Naked-neck chicken.

Her name is Hope....yes she is a Turken or naked neck. Her crop is bare of feathers as is her neck :) she is a strange little one lol....she may have some head trauma from her last attack, she was scalped but has healed nicely. This wound on her crop HAS to be 2 days old. :-( no stitches...we try not to stitch up anything especially if it is after 24 hours. She is already healing nicely. She trills to me and only likes me lol my daughter had a hard time holding her for pics. When I took her, she puts her wing over my shoulder and keeps her head next to mine. Why won't any other chickens like her?? Even the chicks were mean to her. So she is maybe destined to be a house chicken,

Attachments

• 1209171904.jpg
    1209171904.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 1209171904a.jpg
    1209171904a.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 1209171905.jpg
    1209171905.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom