INJURED DUCK from hawk attack Need help ASAP!

James0552

Hatching
Dec 4, 2021
My pekin duck was attacked by a hawk earlier today and I managed to find her but she had wounds on her neck, I'm not sure how bad it is or how deep the wounds are but she can't stand up. I applied disinfectant to the wounds but she is still struggling. We tried putting her in a closed pet carrier with some food and water to try and get some rest but she kept trying to stand. She also keeps kicking one leg. Does anyone know what the cause could be or how bad the injures are? Any help is hugely appreciated.

EDIT: here are some photos

Attachments

• duck injures2.jpg
    duck injures2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 40
  • duck injures3.jpg
    duck injures3.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 14
  • duck injures1.jpg
    duck injures1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Here are some recent threads you might want to look through for some advice:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/found-injured-chicken.1503408/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-rooster-got-attacked-by-a-dog.1503303/#post-25170195

Please post photos of the duck.

Is she picking up her neck? Clean the wound with some blu kote or poultry wound spray after applying some clean water. Is the neck area the only area with a wound?
Is she eating or drinking at all?
Shes been trying to lift her head but not much. And she wasn't eating at all and barely drinking. And yes the neck appears to be the only injured area. We are letting her rest some, she has stopped scrambling around as much (not sure if that is good or bad) but I will try to get a good picture next time I clean the wound

Shes been trying to lift her head but not much. And she wasn't eating at all and barely drinking. And yes the neck appears to be the only injured area. We are letting her rest some, she has stopped scrambling around as much (not sure if that is good or bad) but I will try to get a good picture next time I clean the wound
Try dipping her beak in water every now and then - that makes sure she at least drinks some water.

Let her rest, don't bother her too much. You should line the dog crate with hay to make her more comfortable. Clean the wound, offer her food/water, make her as comfortable as possible, and she should survive, depending on how bad the wound is (Pictures needed).

Try dipping her beak in water every now and then - that makes sure she at least drinks some water.

Let her rest, don't bother her too much. You should line the dog crate with hay to make her more comfortable. Clean the wound, offer her food/water, make her as comfortable as possible, and she should survive, depending on how bad the wound is (Pictures needed).
Thank you for the reply, i'v added photos to the original post and will try the things you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom