Injured Duck Questions

ColeTa

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2019
Hello, this is my first time posting a question, I hope someone can help me sort out my duck injury issue!:)

I have two female Muscovy ducks, they seem to get along pretty well and I've never seen them be aggressive towards each other. This morning when I went to let the ducks out the one had pretty bad wounds to her face, both sides, just under the eyes. (I attached some photos) I can't figure out what caused such nasty wounds. It has happened once before, last time I put some cream on and separated the ducks for a week until it healed. But I would like to find out what's causing the issue. there is no signs of anything getting into the pen. There are also no other marks or cuts on the ducks body. I do see the other duck try to pick at the wounds, but I am not sure if it is out of aggression or just curiosity. If anyone has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190817_153321.jpg
    20190817_153321.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190817_153328.jpg
    20190817_153328.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 10
Hold the bird carefully, gently clean her with cold water, apply iodine or hydrogen peroxide whichever is available. Neoprene can be applied if there is no more bleeding. Seperate her from the flock and limit her activity until she is completely healed. If she will stay with the flock the wounds will trigger more pecking.

Good luck

Hello, this is my first time posting a question, I hope someone can help me sort out my duck injury issue!:)

I have two female Muscovy ducks, they seem to get along pretty well and I've never seen them be aggressive towards each other. This morning when I went to let the ducks out the one had pretty bad wounds to her face, both sides, just under the eyes. (I attached some photos) I can't figure out what caused such nasty wounds. It has happened once before, last time I put some cream on and separated the ducks for a week until it healed. But I would like to find out what's causing the issue. there is no signs of anything getting into the pen. There are also no other marks or cuts on the ducks body. I do see the other duck try to pick at the wounds, but I am not sure if it is out of aggression or just curiosity. If anyone has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Oh no the poor thing is she ok though even under the circumstances?

Sure doesn’t look like the other Muscovy did that. Can you explain your set up do they sleep next to the fencing what is the fencing? My Muscovy females have their spats but have never injured each other like that and I’ve had Muscovy for a long time. My guess is with @Texag87 raccoon.

Hold the bird carefully, gently clean her with cold water, apply iodine or hydrogen peroxide whichever is available. Neoprene can be applied if there is no more bleeding. Seperate her from the flock and limit her activity until she is completely healed. If she will stay with the flock the wounds will trigger more pecking.

Good luck
peroxide isnt recomended for wound treatment anymore, its an oxidizer and kills new skin cells and makes it take longer to heal and causes scaring

Sure doesn’t look like the other Muscovy did that. Can you explain your set up do they sleep next to the fencing what is the fencing? My Muscovy females have their spats but have never injured each other like that and I’ve had Muscovy for a long time. My guess is with @Texag87 raccoon.
Hey! I didn't think the duck was a Muscovy either, they are my first ducks and that's what I was told they were when buying them. They are completely white‍♂️ They sleep in a hard wall coop, no raccoon can get in. However I have seen small burrowing holes, not sure if it's a rat or a weasel? It's on a farm so there very well could be rats from the barn. The only other animal I have seen around the coop is a skunk. Be he's typically pretty friendly! It's strange that the same wounds are on both sides and have happened before. Youd think of it was a fight the wounds wouldn't be a consistent. I set up a camera and I am going to watch the coop over the next few nights! Thanks for your reply:)

Back
Top Bottom