Injured Duckling...

DuckFrenzy247

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2019
Hey y’all,

So I have an unfortunate dilemma... one of my ducklings maybe 3-4 weeks old has a pretty crooked foot... I got her at TSC and she seemed fine and I gave her proper nutrition but it’s not seeming to get any better and I don’t think it ever will. She can hobble on one leg but sits most of the time. I feel so bad for her... I don’t know what to do. I hate to say it but should I euthanize her... I would hate to do it but I just don’t know what’s best in this situation...

Hey y’all,

So I have an unfortunate dilemma... one of my ducklings maybe 3-4 weeks old has a pretty crooked foot... I got her at TSC and she seemed fine and I gave her proper nutrition but it’s not seeming to get any better and I don’t think it ever will. She can hobble on one leg but sits most of the time. I feel so bad for her... I don’t know what to do. I hate to say it but should I euthanize her... I would hate to do it but I just don’t know what’s best in this situation...
Before you think about doing away with her lets try a few things. First of all you've got TSC so go there and get some B-complex. It's in where the cattle stuff is. The bottle will look like this:
IMG_0251.JPG

Give 1 ml over something like meal worms or watermelon, peas, something you know she will eat so that she gets the whole amount. Give that every day, twice a day. You can't OD her on it she will just pee out the excess that she doesn't need.

Then lets get some pictures of her leg/foot and maybe a video would be good so we can see what's going on. Then we will get the experts @Miss Lydia @casportpony to give their ideas. Most of the time these things can be fixed so don't give up!

We will be waiting for the pictures and hopefully video!

Could you post some pictures of the foot? - Or better make a video of the foot, maybe her hobbling, upload that on YouTube and link it here?
What is she doing with the leg when you put her in some lukewarm water?
Is she moving the leg at all?
It might not be the foot, but a hip injury.
@WVduckchick

Lets get that video up and get her started on the liquid B complex. She may never get 100% if this started a few weeks ago but the liquid b is amazing for what it can do for our water fowl babies. {Pigeon toes and other leg issues are usually from niacin deficiency. } What feed are you using?

Back
Top Bottom