Injured Eye

Amber83

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
Texas
Today I noticed that my roo Indie was slightly less active than usual. He's pretty calm, so I didn't think much of it, but when I scooped him up out of the yard, he didn't fight to get away and this is a bird that isn't thrilled with being picked up. I held him for a minute, pet him and sat him down. He wandered away like usual. Tonight I went out to lock up the coop and double check that everyone was inside. I spotted him perched alone much lower than the other birds. He also didn't seem to be aware of how close I actually was to him. I got closer to check him out and noticed that his eye has some kind of injury. What would cause this and what can I do about it?

Up close, it doesn't look like it's closed (I realize it looks that way in the pic). I will get a better one in the morning.

How old is he? Does he have any crusting or drainage from his eye or his nostrils? What do his poops look like? Any diarrhea or blood in his poop? Any sneezing or labored breathing? I would also check his skin for mites or lice, especially around his vent, neck, and under wings. Separate him in a crate with vitamins and electrolytes in his water, some feed, and offer him bits of egg or tuna. Have you added any new birds recently?

Back
Top Bottom