06E20D07-F883-4B76-8875-6CA8E94E1710.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    972.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 6
And I’m not sure if I mentioned, he won’t bend his leg. He keeps it straight. Could it be his thigh? Something higher up?

This is typical presentation when the sciatic nerve is inflamed. The cause of this could be an avian virus such as Marek's or leucosis. It's not possible to diagnose without a necropsy. He's of the age window when an infected bird becomes symptomatic.

I had three such young chickens a year ago present with these symptoms. I tried to treat them all. Finally, by the time the third one was paralyzed, I got a necropsy to confirm leucosis. You can read about my experience here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/

Are you giving him vitamin B complex and vitamin E? The fact he's a Silkie may point to a neurological cause that these vitamins could treat. Try it. Just give the pills directly into his beak each day. If he gets worse, though, you should consider contacting the state lab to see about a necropsy.

This is typical presentation when the sciatic nerve is inflamed. The cause of this could be an avian virus such as Marek's or leucosis. It's not possible to diagnose without a necropsy. He's of the age window when an infected bird becomes symptomatic.

I had three such young chickens a year ago present with these symptoms. I tried to treat them all. Finally, by the time the third one was paralyzed, I got a necropsy to confirm leucosis. You can read about my experience here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/

Are you giving him vitamin B complex and vitamin E? The fact he's a Silkie may point to a neurological cause that these vitamins could treat. Try it. Just give the pills directly into his beak each day. If he gets worse, though, you should consider contacting the state lab to see about a necropsy.
Thank you. I got B and E and gave it to him. 🙏🙏🙏

Thank you. He is getting worse. I have given him baby aspirin. He gobbles it up. He can’t even stand now. And I noticed tonight the girls were not surrounding him
Like they have been. They were sticking near him previously. This evening when I got home they were distanced. I brought him in, fed him Apples and eggs, and now I’ve placed him in a box because he was flapping his wings trying to move but it just flipped him About. I feel so bad for him. He’s been such a good rooster.
I am sorry for Merle😢. I am dealing with something like that myself. I’ve given Smokey VetRX & another over the counter liquid med to give him energy. I called the vet office here but I felt like I wasn’t taken serious so I thought that I would try it myself but I need advice.

I am sorry for Merle😢. I am dealing with something like that myself. I’ve given Smokey VetRX & another over the counter liquid med to give him energy. I called the vet office here but I felt like I wasn’t taken serious so I thought that I would try it myself but I need advice.
Thank you. Sadly we had to euthanize sweet Merle. He was such a doll. My favorite chicken. Who knew a rooster could be the sweetest, most interactive chicken in the flock.
His paralysis worsened until it reached his lungs. He never got bitter or whiny. And he remained alert. Which is what made it soooooo difficult.
What’s going on with Smokey? Sorry to hear about your vet. Our vets are not chicken knowledgeable or sympathetic. Others may have luck with vet rx. I’ve never seen improvements with my chickens using it. But honestly, I still do on the off chance it is doing something of which I’m
Not aware.

Thank you. Sadly we had to euthanize sweet Merle. He was such a doll. My favorite chicken. Who knew a rooster could be the sweetest, most interactive chicken in the flock.
His paralysis worsened until it reached his lungs. He never got bitter or whiny. And he remained alert. Which is what made it soooooo difficult.
What’s going on with Smokey? Sorry to hear about your vet. Our vets are not chicken knowledgeable or sympathetic. Others may have luck with vet rx. I’ve never seen improvements with my chickens using it. But honestly, I still do on the off chance it is doing something of which I’m
Not aware.
So sorry to hear about your pet Merle 😢. I called Nutri-Drench today & they told me to give him 2ml every 8 hours. I feel like I will take him to a vet tomorrow bc I want to make sure that I am doing the best for him. He seems to be lighter when I pick him up.
Yes, you can get so attached to your pets. Smokey would ride the 4wheeler with my Granddaughter & let you pick him up without any hassle. He hasn’t crowed for the past 2 days. The pic attached was this morning in the bath tub.

Attachments

• 482EE568-4C0F-4CDD-8910-F5D67569164E.jpeg
    482EE568-4C0F-4CDD-8910-F5D67569164E.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 191D22C4-1A5E-42F7-9FB6-071E761755AD.jpeg
    191D22C4-1A5E-42F7-9FB6-071E761755AD.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 4
So sorry to hear about your pet Merle 😢. I called Nutri-Drench today & they told me to give him 2ml every 8 hours. I feel like I will take him to a vet tomorrow bc I want to make sure that I am doing the best for him. He seems to be lighter when I pick him up.
Yes, you can get so attached to your pets. Smokey would ride the 4wheeler with my Granddaughter & let you pick him up without any hassle. He hasn’t crowed for the past 2 days. The pic attached was this morning in the bath tub.
He’s adorable. Have you read up on roosters that stop crowing? It’s good you are taking him to the vet. Keep me posted on what the vet says.

He’s adorable. Have you read up on roosters that stop crowing? It’s good you are taking him to the vet. Keep me posted on what the vet says.
Well I took Smokey to the vet & he weighed 6.5#. Not sure if that is a healthy wgt for roosters or not but he got 2 injections, (one antibiotic & a steroid). The vet is concerned thatMarek’s .but wwwe
We

Back
Top Bottom