Injured golden sex link

MaryC19

Chirping
May 7, 2020
I just went outside to give my girls some treats and saw Linksy covered in blood. I cleaned up the wound and wrapped a bandage around her neck but it’s a pretty bad gush. I can’t afford to take her to a vet. Is there anything else I can do to heal her or is it best to put her down? She doesn’t seem to be in pain and is very calm.

Attachments

• 4EBF137E-BE82-435C-871F-34E5C0C545BC.jpeg
    4EBF137E-BE82-435C-871F-34E5C0C545BC.jpeg
    816.3 KB · Views: 21
  • D14E93BA-3DD2-4C21-AD06-9CA9CEA64C3C.jpeg
    D14E93BA-3DD2-4C21-AD06-9CA9CEA64C3C.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 19
I am so sorry about her! I would personally bandage her but this hasn’t ever happened to any of mine so i don’t quite know. I hope she can get better.

I would also apply pressure with a clean towel. Maybe that will stop the bleeding and then bandage it. Maybe put an ointment on it.

I have a hen that is currently in my chicken hospital (aka plastic bin in the laundry room) who also had a pretty gnarly wound. I didn't bandage it but I did clean it off really well with water and then sprayed on a diluted iodine mixture then slathered it in original neosporin (no pain relief). She has been eating, drinking and pooping well so I have just been letting her rest in the dark and it seems to be healing on it's own. So far it does not seem to be infected or anything so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it heals completely on its own. I did give her one baby aspirin crushed in water the first 2 days to help with any pain and have been giving her scrambled eggs in the morning to eat.

Thanks for the replies. I did wash it off with saline water and I wrapped a bandage around her neck. I found a bandage with silver antimicrobial which I’m planning to put on her because it still seems to be bleeding. I thought about trying to sew it together but I think it would cause her more pain. I also thought about some liquid bandage but I’m afraid she’ll squirm around and I’ll end up getting it inside the wound. The bandage around her neck seems to bother her more, which is causing her to move her neck around a lot. It worries me that she’s causing more damage.

Thanks for the replies. I did wash it off with saline water and I wrapped a bandage around her neck. I found a bandage with silver antimicrobial which I’m planning to put on her because it still seems to be bleeding. I thought about trying to sew it together but I think it would cause her more pain. I also thought about some liquid bandage but I’m afraid she’ll squirm around and I’ll end up getting it inside the wound. The bandage around her neck seems to bother her more, which is causing her to move her neck around a lot. It worries me that she’s causing more damage.
That's why I didn't bandage mine. I didn't want her to hurt herself trying to get it off. When I have her in the bin I put the lid half on (for air) and leave the lights on. She just lays still for hours which seems best for healing. I let her out a few times for 5 minutes or so, so she can get exercise

You say “still bleeding” so my healthcare mind goes straight to clotting & coagulation. The problem? I have only treated & learned about humans. Does anyone here know if it’s safe to try a dusting of corn starch to stem bleeding in a chicken???
My only other thing would be to get in touch with a local farm or livestock retailer to see if they carry anything that can staunch the flow of blood. Silver nitrate? An actual cornstarch product labeled for this type of usage? I really do wish you and your feathered friend the best......

Do you have any styptic powder? How close are you to a Petco -- it's there for less than $6-- it's suppose to stop bleeding.
Baking Soda or corn starch also helps with bleeding--
It depends on if this is considered a superficial wound or not. 😕
I think I'd try whichever you have handy, get some styptic powder, separate her, and treat it like you would any injury.
If she is calm and not acting like she hurts, stopping the bleeding is the biggest issue.
You've got this.
It's gonna be okay.
It looks nasty but mendable.
Deep breath
Try pressure. Then Baking soda or /& corn starch.

Do you have any styptic powder? How close are you to a Petco -- it's there for less than $6-- it's suppose to stop bleeding.
Baking Soda or corn starch also helps with bleeding--
It depends on if this is considered a superficial wound or not. 😕
I think I'd try whichever you have handy, get some styptic powder, separate her, and treat it like you would any injury.
If she is calm and not acting like she hurts, stopping the bleeding is the biggest issue.
You've got this.
It's gonna be okay.
It looks nasty but mendable.
Deep breath
Try pressure. Then Baking soda or /& corn starch.
I agree; use what you have on hand for bleeding now. Go get a product actually labeled to stem bleeding. Cleanse/flush the wound of whatever you used that was on hand and then apply the problem specific product. You got this!!

Back
Top Bottom