Injured golden sex link

De-gloving injury. Ouch.

Does it smell bad? I always smell any wounds at dressing change time. Gross yes, but necessary to detect infection.

Hopefully one of the other ladies can help more.

Is there a bad smell?

Were you able to get some antibiotics as suggested previously in this thread (quoted below)?
Glad you noticed the wound was larger than you suspected.

Many Tractor Supply stores stock blood stop powders. In a pinch you can use corn starch.
I would not stitch, glue, or cover it with a bandage. Closing or covering the wound can close in bacteria and encourage infection. Flush it well (which you have done) and apply an antibiotic ointment like plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to cover the wounded area. Reapply the ointment several times a day, flush it out again if needed.
Chlorhexidine is good to have on hand for wound flushing (hibiclens, Walmart or any drug store). It looks deep, so I would be prepared to treat any infection if that happens (it very often does not), but if you see discharge, pus, redness or swelling beyond what the wound trauma would give, or any bad smell develops then you may need to add an oral or injectable antibiotic. You can use amoxicillin orally (available as fish mox) or injectable Penicillin G Procaine, most Tractor Supply stores carry also, in the refrigerator. There are a few states you can't get it in. Keep her where flies cannot get into the wounds. Once they are scabbed over that becomes less of an issue. Keeping her on puppy pads or clean towels rather than loose bedding will help keep it clean.
This thread has some pictures of some wounds and how they look during healing, so you havve an idea what to expect and what is normal.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wounds-pictures-of-how-they-heal.1325817/#post-21627607

It doesn’t smell bad. The wound closer to her chest looks a little brownish. I was trying to take off the dead skin so that hopefully new skin grows and seals the wound. But she can’t stay still for that long. I wrapped her in a towel while my husband cleaned the wounds but she starts struggling when he touches a tender part of the wound. Any suggestions on how to put her to sleep or calm her down while I tend to her wound?

I would wrap her in a towel, as you did, lay her on her back, and put a cloth over her head(lightly, make sure she can still breathe normally) to restrict what she can see. You can still hold her, but laying them on their back will often calm them enough to do what you have too.
You can't really put her to sleep, but hopefully that will calm her some and make it easier. I do bumblefoot treatments like this, and most of the time can lay them wrapped up on the table on their backs and get it done on my own without help.

Back
Top Bottom