Injured Hen

PittyLova

Songster
Dec 29, 2017
Northern, NH
I was given 8 hens and a turkey hen from a family friend who couldn't care for them due to a surgery. She informed me that somebody was plucking feathers from the others since they were inside more due to the weather, but she hadn't figured out who it was. I went out to the coop one morning to let everybody out and caught the turkey EATING a chicken's comb. I immediately separated out the turkey and went in to get stuff to help clean up the chicken. By the time I got back the chickens were back in the coop and attacking the poor thing. She is currently in the house.

Her comb has scabbed over and looks as good as it can I suppose, she's eating and drinking normally. However one of her legs seems to have been injured during this all and she can't walk on it. I see no cuts or anything so I'm not sure if it was broken, tendon's torn, or dislocated somehow. By feeling I don't feel anything unusual. What are the chances of this healing up? I'll be honest, I'm not bringing her to the vet. She seems comfortable right now, but if nobody has any stories of something like this happening and them getting better at home then she's destined for the pot.

She could have injured her leg trying to get away from the others. It may just take time to heal. Like a sprain a human would get.
As for her comb make sure it’s not bleeding. Then you can use Blu Kote on it before you put her with the others. Blu Kote will literally turn her comb blue. (And anything else it touches) Chicken eyes pick up red the best so wounds are a favorite thing to pick at on each other. Most comb wounds look way worse then they are. Their combs bleed like a human scalp would.
Keep an eye on her and see how she is. You can always add pictures if you need to.

I have delt with a dislocated hip. The hen was hopping on one foot and dragging the other behind her. Her toes couldn't grip with the dragging foot and it just kinda of dangled when i picked her up. It did pop back in place by itself the first time when she flexed the leg while i was holding her. I felt and heard it pop back in. It healed and she was good for a bit. I noticed a slight stiffness in her joint every so often that would cause a little limp. She dislocated it again yesterday when she fell off a perch, unfortunatley she passed away early this morning before i could get her to the vet. I also have a disabled chicken that has twisted leg (i think he grew too fast and it twisted inwards on him) and he hops along on one foot and uses his twisted leg for balance, i keep him inside my house as a pet now. Some chickens find a way to survive a permiment injury, others recover, and some don't recover at all. If she isnt in pain, wait and see what she'll do. Try and keep her from moving around too much the first week. She may learn how to walk with the handicap or she may heal on her own. I know with dislocation the sooner its put back the better, but i would never try it on my own. I'm in my first year of chicken keeping so i dont know much. Just what I've had to deal with and have researched,and have asked about.

Thank you both!.I had stopped the bleeding when I brought her in. Half of her comb is gone. I have her in my house in a large tub with a screen on it. She has water and food but not much room otherwise. I figured limiting movement would be best. If she heals up ok I'll use blue kote as you suggested.

She still seems lively and his earing amd drinking so I guess we wait and see.

Thank you guys!

I would try to give her a recess from confinement and see how she moves. A little physical therapy. No movement could leave her stiff. If you think she is in pain you can give her a 81mg aspirin in a quart of water.

Back
Top Bottom