Injured leg in duckling. help needed

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
I got my ducklings yesterday and they are not even a week old. We already had 1 month old ducks so today we were working on getting them to get along. While watching them closely everything was going fine until one of the bigger ducks started chasing and picking at the duckling. I broke up the fight and when I was over to pick up the duckling I noticed it was limping. I brought it inside and he just sat there. When he got up to eat he picked up the leg that is hurt. Any suggestions on what to do? how long will it take for him/her to get better?

Could you upload a video to youtube or Vimeo of the duckling walking, and copy/paste the link here? Does the leg feel warm, any redness, is she putting any weight on the leg?

Could you upload a video to youtube or Vimeo of the duckling walking, and copy/paste the link here? Does the leg feel warm, any redness, is she putting any weight on the leg?
Sorry can’t get any videos right now but when it walks it’s trying to just hop on one foot and when it’s eating it puts his leg up like a flamingo. I put the duckling on a smaller box to minimize walking. I put it with his friends too to make him comfortable I’ll try to update you ASAP

HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN HURT .YOU COULD PUT HEAT ON ITS LEG OR ICE .MAKE SURE ITS HYDRATED AND EATING TO. KEEP IT SEPRATED FROM THE OTHER DUCKS BECAUSE THEY WILL SENSE WEAKNESS AND MAY HURT IT MORE SO KEEP IT SPRATED FROM THE ORTHERS. GIVE IT ELECTROLTES YOU CAN GET IT FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY CO. ANYMORE QUESTIONS JUST ASK ME.

HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN HURT .YOU COULD PUT HEAT ON ITS LEG OR ICE .MAKE SURE ITS HYDRATED AND EATING TO. KEEP IT SEPRATED FROM THE OTHER DUCKS BECAUSE THEY WILL SENSE WEAKNESS AND MAY HURT IT MORE SO KEEP IT SPRATED FROM THE ORTHERS. GIVE IT ELECTROLTES YOU CAN GET IT FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY CO. ANYMORE QUESTIONS JUST ASK ME.
It just got hurt like an hour ago. It’s doing much better now. It’s now putting weight on its leg.

Also, do you have any ideas on how i can get em to like eachother? and how long will it take for them to get used to eachother?

YES SO DURING THE DAY YOU CAN LET THEM BE TOGETHER BUT YOU MAY WANT TO SEPRATE THEM AT NIGHT AND MONITOR THEN DURING THE DAY.
IT WILL TAKE A COUPLE DAYS TO GET USED TO EACH OTHER AND ANY MEANESS SEPRATE THEM.

Speak with an inside voice.

Your 1 month old duckling and 1 week old should not be together all day unless they are separated and where they can see each other the Size difference alone can cause injury and pain as you’ve already found out. still in a brooder separate them so they can see each other give your small one a couple weeks to get strong enough to handle the1 month old better. Once the duckling is over its injury try placing them together a few times a day with you right there to separate if needed. Hopefully rest and good feed and some poultry vitamins will get your little one back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom