Injured Leg

northwestchick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
Bremerton, WA
One of my hens has injured her leg, she still seems to put weight on it and is able to get around minimally. Should I just let it be for a few days and see how it goes or cull her? I don't want her to suffer, and I am not wasting money by taking her to the vet. Thanks for your advice in advance.

I have had this happen in the past, but it was a clean break from the hip area and I had to cull her. This seems a bit different.

I would give her a chance to spend some time healing. It might speed things up to confine her to a pen or cage with food and water for a week or two. I have a hen now with a sprain who has been hobbling for a few weeks. She prefers to go out with the others all day long, and hang under the big pine tree most of the day. Then she goes back in the coop up the hill at night. She limits her own activity. I would not put her down unless she was suffering.

How can you tell a sprain from a break? My chicken has been limping for about a week, her foot seems to be turned on it's side a bit. I've examined her foot twice now, no sign of injury, so I'm thinking it's her leg. She's getting around better than when it first happened, but still limping badly. I wish I could tell if she was in pain.

Back
Top Bottom