Injured leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ole and Lena, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    One of our chicken-tards got between the stall boards and the siding today and manged to mess up her leg. There's no bleeding or noticable disfugurement, leg is not at any funny angles or anything but she won't put weight on it. Still eating, drinking and roosting normally, just not running around.

Is this something she might recover from or is she likely one for the stewpot. Will see how she looks tomorrow I guess.

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I wouldn't give up yet, it's probably really sore or there could be some bruising inside. i would give it more time, give it about a week and see if she starts to put weight on it. Chickens can be pretty hardy creatures.. She will probably bounce right back....

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You have to give her at least week to see some improvement. It's wait and see girl.

4. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    She's getting around better today. Still hurtin but she still has the scoot to run away when you try to catch her for a better look.

5. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    maybe a sprain or a twisted funny

one of mine i think jumped of a chair and landed funny
    she limps about and doesnot like to put wieght on it that was about two days ago

now she shtillis uncomfy but walks just fine andjumps and lands onteh chair like nothing hapened!

i may also say if yours is anything like mine it will limp more when you are looking ! mine limps realy bad when i watch her, if i hide away out of sight she runs around like normal - she has cottened on she gets moretreats when she limps i think [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by